New South Wales
Jerilderie Shire Council office and chambers.
Location of Jerilderie Shire in New South Wales
|• Density||0.45242/km2 (1.1718/sq mi)|
|Area||3,373 km2 (1,302.3 sq mi)|
Jerilderie Shire was a local government area in the Riverina region of southern New South Wales, Australia. The Shire was located adjacent to the Newell Highway. The Shire was declared in 1918 after the amalgamation of the former Municipality of Jerilderie (1889 - 1918) and Wunnamurra Shire (1906 - 1918). It was dissolved in 2016 after its amalgamation with Murrumbidgee Shire to create Murrumbidgee Council
At the time of dissolution, Jerilderie Shire was the second smallest local government area in New South Wales, in terms of population.
A 2015 review of local government boundaries by the NSW Government Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal recommended that the Jerilderie Shire merge adjoining councils. The government considered three proposals. The first proposal was a merger between parts of the Jerilderie Shire with the Murrumbidgee Shire to form a new council with an area of 4,924 square kilometres (1,901 sq mi) and support a population of approximately 3,000. The second proposal was a merger between the remaining parts of the Jerilderie Shire with the Berrigan Shire to form a new council with an area of 4,022 square kilometres (1,553 sq mi) and support a population of approximately 10,000. The Jerilderie Shire Council submitted an alternate proposal to the Minister for Local Government that the entire Jerilderie Shire amalgamate with the Murrumbidgee Shire.
Composition and election method
At the time of dissolution, Jerilderie Shire Council was composed of seven councillors elected proportionally as one entire ward. All councillors were elected for a fixed four-year term of office. The mayor was elected by the councillors at the first meeting of the Council. The final election was held on 8 September 2012.
- "3218.0 - Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2012". Australian Bureau of Statistics. 30 August 2013. Retrieved 27 March 2014. Estimated resident population (ERP) at 30 June 2012.
- "Jerilderie Shire Council". Department of Local Government. Archived from the original on 6 September 2006. Retrieved 2006-12-01.
- "Merger proposal: Murrumbidgee Shire Council, Jerilderie Shire Council (part)" (PDF). Government of New South Wales. January 2016. p. 8. Retrieved 13 March 2016.
- "Merger proposal: Berrigan Shire Council, Jerilderie Shire Council (part)" (PDF). Government of New South Wales. January 2016. p. 8. Retrieved 13 March 2016.
- Jerilderie Shire Council (26 January 2016). "Merger proposal: Jerilderie Shire Council and Murrumbidgee Shire Council" (PDF). Council Boundary Review. Government of New South Wales. Retrieved 13 March 2016.
- "Murrumbidgee Council". Stronger Councils. Government of New South Wales. 12 May 2016. Retrieved 13 May 2016.