Inner West Council
|Inner West Council|
New South Wales
Location in Metropolitan Sydney
|• Density||5,200/km2 (13,470/sq mi)|
|Established||12 May 2016|
|Area||35 km2 (13.5 sq mi)|
|Mayor||Darcy Byrne (Labor)|
|Website||Inner West Council|
Inner West Council is a local government area located in the inner western region of Sydney in the state of New South Wales, Australia. The Council was formed on 12 May 2016 from the forced merger of the former Ashfield, Leichhardt, and Marrickville councils.
Suburbs and localities in the local government area
- Annandale (shared with the City of Sydney)
- Ashbury (shared with Canterbury-Bankstown Council)
- Balmain East
- Camperdown (shared with the City of Sydney)
- Croydon (shared with Municipality of Burwood)
- Croydon Park (shared with Canterbury-Bankstown Council and Municipality of Burwood)
- Dulwich Hill
- Dobroyd Point
- Hurlstone Park (shared with Canterbury-Bankstown Council)
- Mascot (minor part) (shared with Bayside Council)
- Newtown (shared with the City of Sydney)
- Orange Grove
- St Peters (shared with the City of Sydney)
- Summer Hill
At the 2016 census, there were 182,043 people in the Inner West local government area; of these 48.7 per cent were male and 51.3 per cent were female. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people made up 1.1 per cent of the population; significantly below the NSW and Australian averages of 2.9 and 2.8 per cent respectively. The median age of people in Inner West Council was 36 years; slightly lower than the national median of 38 years. Children aged 0 – 14 years made up 15.3 per cent of the population and people aged 65 years and over made up 12.25 per cent of the population. Of people in the area aged 15 years and over, 38.7 per cent were married and 10.8 per cent were either divorced or separated.
At the 2016 census, the proportion of residents in the Inner West local government area who stated their ancestry as Australian or from Britain and Ireland exceeded 54 per cent of all residents. In excess of 51 per cent of all residents in Inner West Council nominated a no religious affiliation at the 2016 census, which was in excess of the national average of 40 per cent. Meanwhile, as at the census date, compared to the national average, households in the Inner West local government area had a higher than average proportion (31.4 per cent) where two or more languages are spoken (national average was 22.2 per cent); and a lower proportion (64.4 per cent) where English only was spoken at home (national average was 72.7 per cent).
|Selected historical census data for Inner West Council local government area|
|Population||Estimated residents on census night||182,043||169,799||160,276||159,974|
|LGA rank in terms of size within New South Wales||14th|
|% of New South Wales population||2.43%|
|% of Australian population||0.78%|
|Estimated ATSI population on census night||2,034|
|% of ATSI population to residents||1.1%|
|Cultural and language diversity|
(other than English)
|No religion, so described||40.4%|
|Median weekly incomes|
|Personal income||Median weekly personal income||A$957|
|% of Australian median income||144.6%|
|Family income||Median weekly family income||A$2,498|
|% of Australian median income||144.1%|
|Household income||Median weekly household income||A$2,048|
|% of Australian median income||142.4%|
The Inner West Council comprises fifteen Councillors elected proportionally, with three Councillors elected in five wards. On 9 September 2017 the current council was elected for a fixed three-year term of office; having been under administration by Richard Pearson, appointed by the NSW Government, from 12 May 2016 until 21 September 2017.
The most recent election was held on 9 September 2017, and the makeup of the Council by order of election, is as follows:
|Australian Labor Party||5|
|Liberal Party of Australia||2|
|Djarrawunang (Ashfield) Ward||Mark Drury||Labor||Ashfield South Ward Councillor 2006–2016|
|Julie Passas||Liberal||Deputy Mayor 2017–2018, Ashfield East Ward Councillor 2012–2016|
|Baludarri (Balmain) Ward||Darcy Byrne||Labor||Mayor 2017–present, Mayor of Leichhardt 2015–2016|
|Rochelle Porteous||Greens||Mayor of Leichhardt 2014–2015|
|John Stamolis||Independent||Leichhardt Balmain Ward Councillor 2014–2016|
|Gulgadya (Leichhardt) Ward||Lucille McKenna||Labor||Mayor of Ashfield 2013–2016|
|Marghanita Da Cruz||Greens|
|Vittoria Raciti||Liberal||Deputy Mayor 2019–present, Ashfield North East Ward Councillor 2012–2016|
|Midjuburi (Marrickville) Ward||Sam Iskandar||Labor||Mayor of Marrickville 2015–2016|
|Victor Macri||Independent||Deputy Mayor 2018–2019, Mayor of Marrickville 2012–2013|
|Damun (Stanmore) Ward||Louise Steer||Greens|
The daily management of council is managed by a Chief Executive Officer who reports to the Council. The current Chief Executive Officer is Michael Deegan, since 25 February 2019. Deegan succeeded Rik Hart, General Manager since 9 September 2016, who previously held a similar role at Warringah Council between 2007 and 2016. Hart himself succeeded Vanessa Chan who served as general manager between May and September 2016; and was previously general manager of Ashfield Council between 2010 and 2016.
Inner West Library Service
The Inner West Library Service consists of a network of 8 libraries located within the Inner West Council boundaries. After the Inner West Council amalgamation, a new library management system was launched on 1 March 2019, with a soft launch in late February allowing members to borrow from all library in the service.
The libraries of the Inner West Library Service include:
- Ashfield Library
- Balmain Library
- Emmanuel Tsardoulias Community Dulwich Hill Library
- Haberfield Library
- Leichhardt Library
- Marrickville Library
- Stanmore Library
- St Peters/Sydenham Library
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Inner West (A)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 5 July 2017.
- "3218.0 – Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2017-18". Australian Bureau of Statistics. 27 March 2019. Retrieved 27 March 2019. Estimated resident population (ERP) at 30 June 2018.
- "Inner West Council". Stronger Councils. Government of New South Wales. 12 May 2016. Retrieved 15 May 2016.
- "Local Government (Council Amalgamations) Proclamation 2016 [NSW] - Schedule 9 - Provisions for Inner West Council" (PDF). Parliament of New South Wales. 2012. p. 21. Retrieved 22 September 2017.
- Visentin, Lisa (21 September 2017). "Labor wins inner west mayoralty after power-sharing deal with Liberals". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 22 September 2017.
- "Inner West Council Wards" (PDF). Stronger Councils. Government of New South Wales. 12 May 2016. Retrieved 15 May 2016.
- "Home | Inner West Council | Community profile". profile.id.com.au. Retrieved 24 December 2019.
- "Inner West - Ashfield Ward". NSW Local Council Elections 2017. NSW Electoral Commission. Retrieved 15 September 2017.
- "Council Wards to Adopt Aboriginal Names". Inner West Council. 14 December 2018. Retrieved 3 April 2019.
- "Inner West Council Ward Map". Inner West Council. 14 December 2018. Retrieved 16 April 2019.
- "Inner West - Balmain Ward". NSW Local Council Elections 2017. NSW Electoral Commission. Retrieved 15 September 2017.
- "Inner West - Leichhardt Ward". NSW Local Council Elections 2017. NSW Electoral Commission. Retrieved 15 September 2017.
- "Cr Vittoria Raciti new Deputy Mayor of Inner West" (Press release). Inner West Council. 10 September 2018. Retrieved 11 September 2019.
- "Inner West - Marrickville Ward". NSW Local Council Elections 2017. NSW Electoral Commission. Retrieved 15 September 2017.
- "New Deputy Mayor for Inner West Council" (Press release). Inner West Council. 12 September 2018. Retrieved 30 September 2018.
- "Inner West - Stanmore Ward". NSW Local Council Elections 2017. NSW Electoral Commission. Retrieved 15 September 2017.
- "Michael Deegan appointed new Inner West CEO" (Press release). Inner West Council. 20 February 2019. Retrieved 11 June 2019.
- "Experienced GM to step in at Inner West Council" (Press release). Inner West Council. 9 September 2016. Retrieved 21 September 2017.
- Barwell, David (2 September 2016). "INNER WEST COUNCIL GENERAL MANAGER VANESSA CHAN RESIGNS LESS THAN FOUR MONTHS INTO THE ROLE". Inner West Courier. Retrieved 21 September 2017.
- "Collections - Libraries". Inner West Council. Retrieved 12 January 2019.
- "Library Fine Amnesty and Transition to New Services". Inner West Council. 13 February 2019. Retrieved 16 April 2019.
- "Inner West Council: Library & History Catalogue Home". Inner West Council. Inner West Council Library & History. Retrieved 16 April 2019.
- "Locations and Opening Hours". Inner West Council. Retrieved 12 January 2019.