|Born||Katherine Renee Shindle
January 31, 1977
|Alma mater||Northwestern University|
|Occupation||Author, singer, actress, dancer, public speaker, AIDS prevention advocate|
|Title||Miss America 1998
Miss Illinois 1997
|Predecessor||Tara Dawn Holland|
Katherine Renee "Kate" Shindle (born January 31, 1977), Miss America 1998 and Miss Illinois 1997, is an American actress, singer, dancer, and AIDS activist. She is the author of the 2014 memoir, Being Miss America: Behind the Rhinestone Curtain, published by the University of Texas Press.
Shindle was born in Toledo, Ohio, grew up in Brigantine, New Jersey and attended high school at Bishop Eustace Preparatory School. She was a double major in sociology and theater (with a minor in musical theater) at Northwestern University. She has worked as an actress in New York since 1999. Shindle is also a licensed real estate agent.
Shindle appeared (as a replacement) in the Broadway production of Jekyll & Hyde as "Lucy" understudy and several other roles. After being cast by co-directors Sam Mendes and Rob Marshall, she played the role of Sally Bowles in the 1998 Broadway revival of Cabaret on the national tour in 2000-2001, and on Broadway during June-July 2001. She played this role again in the Maltz Jupiter Theatre (Jupiter, Florida) production, starting in January 2012, and was nominated for a 2013 Carbonell Award. In 2007-08 she appeared in the Broadway musical Legally Blonde as "Vivienne Kensington." She played the "Mad Hatter" in the Broadway production of Wonderland in 2011.
She appeared in a concert verson of Jeykll & Hyde in September 2004 at the Mohegan Sun Casino's Cabaret Theatre in Uncasville, Connecticut, playing "Lucy." She then toured in the U. S. with the concert version, starting in September 2005, and recorded the role on the Jekyll & Hyde: Resurrection album.
- Cabaret - Performer: Sally Bowles
- Legally Blonde - Performer: Vivienne Kensington
- Wonderland -Performer: The Mad Hatter
- Jekyll & Hyde - Performer: A Young Girl, Bet, Bridesmaid, Housemaid, Nurse; Understudy: Lucy
- Shindle, Kate. Being Miss America: Behind the Rhinestone Curtain, University of Texas Press, 2014.
- Shindle, Kate. "The Real Housewives of Miss America." Daily Beast, September 21, 2014.
- Shindle, Kate. "Running low on role models: Miss Nevada's out, Tara Conner's wobbly reign continues, and we're left wondering: What are beauty queens for, anyway?." Salon (website), December 26, 2006.
- Witchel, Alex (August 28, 2014). "Taking the Crown, Then Taking Orders: Former Miss America Kate Shindle Revisits Favorite Haunts". New York Times.
- Elisa, Lala (August 18, 2014). "Miss America winner writes book documenting experiences". Press of Atlantic City.
- "Broadway World Biography". Broadway World.
- "Miss America: Miss Illinois 1997". Miss America.
- Purcell, Carey. "Actress, Newly Elected Equity President and Former Miss America Kate Shindle On Still Trying to "Cobble Together a Living" Playbill, August 2015
- "Kate Shindle Broadway" PlaybillVault, accessed August 17, 2015
- Hetrick, Adam. "Cabaret, Starring Kate Shindle, Begins at Maltz Jupiter Theatre Jan. 10", Playbill, January 10, 2012
- Pincus-Roth, Zachary. "Legally Blonde Ends San Francisco Run Feb. 24; Broadway Next", Playbill, February 24, 2007
- Jones, Kenneth. "Take Me Back to Mad Hatter: Wonderland, With Janet Dacal as Alice, Begins on Broadway", Playbill, March 21, 2011
- Hernandez, Ernio. "Broadway's Robert Evan and Kate Shindle Reprise Jekyll & Hyde in Concert, Sept. 8-12", Playbill, August 21, 2004
- Keddy, Genevieve Rafter. "Photo Coverage: Jekyll & Hyde in Concert", broadwayworld, February 2, 2006
- "University of Texas Press Biography". University of Texas Press.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Katherine Shindle.|
- Katherine Shindle on Twitter
- Katherine Shindle on Instagram
- Katherine Shindle at the Internet Movie Database
- Katherine Shindle at the Internet Broadway Database
|Awards and achievements|
Tara Dawn Holland