Kissy Sell Out
|Kissy Sell Out|
Kissy live in Jersey
|Birth name||Thomas Bisdee|
|Born||18 June 1984|
|Origin||Colchester, Essex, England|
|Genres||Electronica, breakbeat, speed garage|
|Occupation(s)||DJ, producer, graphic designer|
San City High
Cheap Thrills Records
Ministry of Sound Australia
Kissy Sell Out, born Thomas Bisdee on 18 June 1984 in Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, England, is a British/Canadian DJ, producer, graphic designer, label manager of San City High Records and Stepper Man, part-time astrophysicist and science columnist for Sick Chirpse. Kissy Sell Out gained notability in 2006 for his electro music productions and energetic DJ style. In 2009 Mixmag described him as "one of the most exciting, charismatic and entertaining DJs of the decade".
In addition to his DJ work and he has released five albums – Youth, Wild Romance, Introducing Kissy Sell Out, San City High All Stars Vol. 1 & 2 – and composed official music for the 2012 Olympics ceremonies held in London.
BBC Radio 1
From 2007–2012 he hosted a successful BBC Radio 1 show called the Kissy Klub. The show blended classical music, and computer-voiced fictional characters with an exclusive selection of remixes created specifically for the show called "Kissy Klub Versions".
With this radio show Kissy became an influential force in the developing electro scene. Notable artists such as Diplo, Felix Da Housecat, Hervé, Uffie & Erol Alkan made regular appearances alongside exclusive tracks Kissy supported which kick-started careers for a long list of breakthrough producers and DJs across the globe.
Until 2009 the majority of his musical output as a producer was in remixes for other artists such as Mark Ronson, Calvin Harris, The Human League, Sugababes, Groove Armada and All Saints. It was this early production work that caught the attention of executives at BBC Radio 1.
In July 2007 Kissy Sell Out was signed by BBC Radio 1 to present a monthly instalment of a specialist dance music show called In New DJs We Trust. In October 2008 he permanently took over Eddie Halliwell's Thursday night slot to host his own weekly show called the Kissy Klub. His radio show covered a selection of musical styles and genres with the tracks often seamlessly mixed together. His last Radio 1 show was in 2012.
Kissy spent his teenage years growing up in Colchester, Essex. He began practicing DJing and teaching himself music production at the age of 13 when a school friend played him a United Dance CD mixed by DJ Hype. His particular interest became very melodically complex post-modern electronic dance music, often around 128 BPM in tempo.
As Kissy's technical abilities blossomed professionally, his live DJ shows began to focus on putting electro beats over classical pieces of music using Pioneer's CDJ decks. This unique element in his approach to mixing led to producing and recording his second album "Wild Romance" almost entirely using classical instruments - something which began to attract media attention when was invited to speak at a formal debate at the Cambridge Union against Stephen Fry about the relevance of classical music to the youth of today in May 2011.
Kissy has also worked very closely with Pioneer DJ since 2011 on developing the CDJ 900 NXS and DJM-900 NXS equipment alongside James Zabeila and Laidback Luke as a brand ambassador. Kissy has made many Youtube video demonstration videos for the company, using the 900 NXS and RMX-1000 products, and personally went to the Pioneer DJ Japan headquarters in Kawasaki to contribute to the blue print designs for the 900 NXS II product line in 2015.
When not working on his own music, much of his time as a music producer has been spent mentoring fresh names in dance music through his label San City High and also by judging DJ competitions such as the Red Bull Thre3style UK tour.
Kissy has often been described by the press as being a staple of the east London electro scene, and most of his records are produced at his studio in the Shoreditch/Brick Lane area.
Inspired by early recordings of underground drum'n'bass events in the UK, Kissy frequently used an air horn during his DJ sets and in June 2007 was pictured on the front cover of DJ Magazine blasting one into the air.
During his final year studying Graphic Design at Central Saint Martins College of Art And Design in London, Kissy worked full-time as a design assistant at a high-fashion magazine called POP Magazine.
KSO & Stepper Man
In 2017, Kissy began releasing music and booking shows as "KSO", in addition to starting a new label called Stepper Man.
Health & Fitness Appearances
In November 2015, Kissy became an ambassador for Decibel Nutrition, alongside JP from Made In Chelsea, Amy Willerton and Rob Edmond. Since then, he has featured in several photo shoots as a fitness model, and appeared on BESTfitTV as a celebrity contender in their extreme fitness challenge.
In summer 2016, Bear Grylls took Kissy on, alongside Mission Survive winner Vogue Williams, to host the main stage at each of his Survival Race events across the UK. The hosts presented awards to the winners, interviewed inspiring figures in the armed forces and challenged the crowd with various fitness activities.
Kissy's run of appearances was cut short, just shy of the last race in London, due to a last minute opportunity to tour Romania for the first time with MC Cobra.
- Youth (2009)
- Introducing Kissy Sell Out (2010 – North American only release)
- Wild Romance (2011)
- San City High All Stars (2013)
- San City High All Stars, Vol. 2 (Mixed by Kissy Sell Out) (2015)
- This Is Our Night feat. Lisa Williams (released 22 August 2016 on San City High Records / Carrillo Music)
- Always (Together Forever) feat. Robert Owens (released 7 March 2016 on San City High Records / Carrillo Music)
- Caught Up feat. Jamie George (released 2 November 2015 on San City High Records / Lifted House / Carrillo Music)
- Tell You feat. Holly Lois (released 26 January 2015 on San City High Records / Vicious Bitch Recordings / Carrillo Music)
- Deeper In Love feat. Angie Brown (released 17 November 2014 on San City High Records / Vicious Bitch Recordings / Carrillo Music)
- The Promise feat. Holly Lois (released May 2014 on San City High Records / Vicious Bitch Recordings / Carrillo Music)
- Who Walks Alone (released 2013 on San City High Records / Vicious Bitch Recordings)
- Ready For The World feat. Hervé & Elliot Chapman (released 2013 on San City High Records / Vicious Bitch Recordings)
- Live Wire feat. Rob Sparx and Jane Thomas (released 2013 on San City High Records / Vicious Bitch Recordings)
- Early Morning Crew feat. The Squatters (released 20 November 2012 on What's Your Status?)
- Turn It On feat. MC Cobra (released 2011 on San City High Records)
- Homesick feat. Oh Snap!! (released 2011 on San City High Records)
- Wild in the Warehouse / Redrinkulous (released 4 April 2011 on San City High Records)
- Joanna (released 16 August 2010 on San City High Records)
- Garden Friends (released 9 April 2010 on Ministry of Sound Australia)
- Come on Over (This Could Be Love) feat. Tinashé (released 8 March 2010 on Island Records/San City High Records)
- This Kiss (Released 1 June 2009 on San City High Records)
- Rikkalicious feat. Hervé (Released 20 October 2008 on Cheap Thrills Records)
- Her (Released 23 July 2007 on Lavolta Records)
- Her / Permanent Record (Released 9 May 2007 on San City High Records)
- Mixmag Presents Kissy Sell Out's Blowout (Mixed By Kissy Sell Out) (released 8 September 2013 on Mixmag)
- Kissy Sell Out's Xmas Blowout (Mixed By Kissy Sell Out) (released 1 December 2009 on Mixmag)
- Mashed Four (Mixed By Kissy Sell Out and The Aston Shuffle) (released 19 April 2008 on Ministry of Sound Australia)
|Original Artist||Song||Remix Name||Label||Year|
|Gettoblaster Feat Servante||Fingerbang Feat Servante||Kissy Sell Out Remix||We Jack||2017|
|Run DMC||Walk This Way||Kissy Sell Out Remix||TBC||2015|
|Terri B!||I'm Coming Back||Kissy Sell Out Remix||Carrillo Music||2015|
|Lisa Williams||Junk||Kissy Sell Out Remix||Carrillo Music||2015|
|Nadia Gattas||The Feeling||Kissy Sell Out Remix||Carrillo Music||2015|
|Super Square||Erase Me||Kissy Sell Out Remix||Carrillo Music||2015|
|Eddie Amador||Awake||Kissy Sell Out Remix||Carrillo Music||2015|
|Hybrid Theory feat. Trilla||That's What It Is||Kissy Sell Out Remix||Four40 Records||2015|
|Binary Finary||1998||Kissy Sell Out's Trap Mix||Armada||2013|
|Ali Love||Love Harder||Kissy Sell Out Remix||Dim Mak||2013|
|Steve Aoki feat. Kid Cudi & Travis Barker||Cudi The Kid||Kissy Sell Outs Style From The Dark Side||Ultra Records||2012|
|TAI||At The Disco||Kissy Sell Out's Skippin's School||Dim Mak||2012|
|Spencer & Hill||Dance||Kissy Sell Out's 4x4 Moombahton Fix||Dim Mak||2012|
|Zeds Dead||Rude Boy||Kissy Sell Out & MC Cobra's VIP Mix||San City High||2011|
|Art Vs. Science||Magic Fountain||Kissy Sell Out's Dark Crystal Version||Ministry Of Sound (Australia)||2010|
|Noisettes||Wild Young Hearts||Kissy Sell Out Remix||Vertigo||2010|
|Frankmusik||Better Off As Two||Kissy Sell Out Says Relax||Island||2009|
|The Human League||The Things That Dreams Are Made Of||Kissy Sell Out Mix||Hooj Choons||2009|
|Shiny Toy Guns||Ricochet!||Kissy Sell Out Mix||Ultra Records||2009|
|Calvin Harris||Merrymaking At My Place||Kissy Sell Out Remix||Fly Eye||2007|
|Groove Armada||Song 4 Mutya||Kissy Sell Out Remix||Columbia||2007|
|Sugababes||About You Now||Kissy Sell Out Remix||Island||2007|
|Remi Nicole||Fed Up||Kissy Sell Out's Rules Of Attraction||Island||2007|
|The Black Ghosts||Face||Kissy Sell Out Remix||Southern Fried||2007|
|Chungking||Love Is Here To Stay||Kissy Sell Out's Own Private Idaho||Institute||2007|
|Acoustic Ladyland||Cuts & Lies||Kissy Sell Out Mix||V2||2007|
|Mark Ronson||Stop Me||Kissy Sell Out's True Romance||Columbia||2007|
|Gwen Stefani||Wind It Up||Kissy Sell Out Remix||Interscope||2006|
|All Saints||Chick Fit||Kissy Sell Out's Excellent Adventure / Bogus Journey||Parlophone||2006|
|GoodBooks||Leni||Kissy Sell Out Mix||Columbia||2006|
|Operator Please||Just A Song About Ping Pong||Kissy Sell Out's White Stallion||Brille||2006|
|Neat People||Baby I'm Bored||Kissy Sell Out Remix||Rekabet||2006|
Kissy Klub Versions
Kissy Klub Versions were unofficial remixes of songs by artists which are played exclusively on Kissy Sell Out's BBC Radio 1 Show. The idea to remix songs for a radio show is down to the BBC's rules on conflict of interest which restrict the amount of air time producers such as Kissy can fill with their own material. Since Kissy's own re-edits of tracks have been a widely talked about feature of his DJ sets since 2006, Kissy felt it was important to continue this feature in his radio show and thus the Kissy Klub Version concept was started.
During the show's life-span, very few other DJs ever obtained copies of the near 1000 long list of exclusive remixes. Efforts were made to release a BBC Kissy Klub Versions CD but failed due to the incredibley complex licensing paperwork it would have involved to clear permissions for a large amount of highly established artists who were unfamiliar with the unusual concept.
In January 2008 Kissy released a four-track EP of bootleg tracks on limited edition CD and digital downloads so he could donate all proceeds to the British Association for Adoption and Fostering . The EP contains a blog-house track called "Get Busy Tropicana" as well as "You're on Fire" which was championed by Zane Lowe on BBC Radio 1 .
Kissy also began supporting the Changing Faces charity in 2010 after meeting a severely facially disfigured young girl in a British airport whilst on his way to DJ in Ibiza. In an interview with Thomas H. Green published in Mixmag he talked of how the brief but poignant moment reduced him to tears and made him realise how lucky he was to be a successful DJ.
Support for unsigned artists
Since Kissy himself claims to owe a lot of his early success to the support he received from DJs such as Simian Mobile Disco, Headman, DJ Touché, The Loose Cannons, Eddy Temple Morris and Tommie Sunshine, Kissy has insisted on championing unsigned artists and new independent producers as much as he can on his radio shows, festival appearances and press interviews.
Some of the fresh faces in music Kissy has shown support for include Ronnie Flex, Foamo, Jo Kira, Metal on Metal, Proxy, 16 Bit, Jack Beats, Last Japan, Norrit, AutoErotique, Cold Blank, Bear Cavalry, Kamikaze Cream Cake, Late of the Pier, MC Cobra, Linda's Nephew, Chew Fu and the Palms Out Sounds blog, Haydn Haydn, Cap'nHarry, Figure, Danny Westcott, Frankmusik, Thoko, Mr. Vega, Matt Sayers, Dynasty, Bro Safari, ETC!ETC!, Hoi!, Black Peter Group, Futuristic Retro Champions, and Andy George and Jaymo who were signed to BBC Radio 1 after Kissy picked them to support him on a BBC Introducing edition of Radio 1's Essential Mix.
Kissy is curator of a music festival in the French Alps called Tignesfest.
- IDJ Player of the Year 2007
- Kissy Sell Out discography at Discogs
- "Kissy Sell Out - after waking my mum up to riffle through... - Facebook". facebook.com. Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- "Kissy Sell Out on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 2017-01-21.
- "Stepper Man Releases & Artists on Beatport". www.beatport.com. Retrieved 2017-01-21.
- "Kissy Sell Out (@kissysellout) - Twitter". twitter.com. Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- "Kissy Sell Out". Sick Chirpse. Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- "Kissy Sell Out Biography". BBC. Retrieved 11 November 2008.
- "Login - Intelligent Media". intelligentmedia.com. Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- "Kissy Sell Out – Upcoming Shows". Myspace.[dead link]
- "Wild Romance's exuberance will raise a grin well beyond party environments".
- "Album Review: Kissy Sell Out / 'Wild Romance' (San City High Records)".
- "Wild Romance".
- "Kissy Sell Out – Wild Romance Album Review".
- "Introducing... Kissy Sell Out". iTunes. Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- "Lee Mortimer, Laidback Luke, Hijack, Jack Beats, High Rankin, Keith, His Majesty Andre, Eats Everything, Dillon Francis, Botnek, Frederick Mooij, Kissy Sell Out, Frederik Mooij, Kissy Sell Out, The Squatters, Taku Takahashi, Zeds Dead, Hatcha, Rob Sparx, Hot Pink Delorean, Tai, Herve, Ali Love, Tom Piper, StereoThieves, Urchins, New Ivory, Tinashe — San City High All Stars [San City High Records] :: Beatport". beatport.com. Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- "Kissy Sell Out - Heartbeats Of London 2012 // Official "TEAM GB" Olympics \u0026 Paralympics Parade Theme by Kissy - Free Listening on SoundCloud". SoundCloud. Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- "One Year To Go Olympic Party - Facebook". facebook.com. Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- Owen Gibson. "London 2012: with just a year to go, city shows it's on the right track". the Guardian. Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- "Zeds Dead featured on NOW Magazine - Live Coverage at The Kool Haus • Dim Mak". Dim Mak. Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- "Kissy Sellout Favourites "The Squatters" Sign to 23rd Precinct Music!". facebook.com. Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- "Foamo - Circle Talent Agency". Circle Talent Agency. Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- "Judge Jules, Gilles Peterson among DJs leaving Radio 1". bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- "Radio 1 refreshes in New DJs We Trust roster". Radio 1 Press Release. BBC. 6 July 2007. Retrieved 11 November 2008.
- "Radio 1 welcomes new talent to revamped evening schedule". Radio 1 Press Release. BBC. 14 August 2008. Retrieved 11 November 2008.
- BBC. "BBC - Radio 1 - Kissy Sell Out - Kissy Club". bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- Lawrence, Eddy (11 July 2007). "Interview: Kissy Sell Out". Time Out London. Time Out Group Ltd. Retrieved 11 November 2008.
- "Radio 1 DJ Kissy Sell Out: 'Classical music is irrelevant to today's youth'". The Independent. London. 12 May 2011.
- Pioneer DJ (2012-09-05), CDJ-2000nexus Kissy Sell Out performance, retrieved 2017-01-21
- Pioneer DJ (2012-03-15), RMX-1000 New REMIX STATION, retrieved 2017-01-21
- DJsounds (2014-06-06), Kissy Sell Out - DJsounds Show 2014, retrieved 2017-01-21
- DJsounds (2012-11-01), Kissy Sell Out - DJsounds Show 2012, retrieved 2017-01-21
- "This October and November, Kissy Sell Out and A-Trak will be bringing the largest DJ competition in the world to the UK with Red Bull Thre3style – the DJ battle that takes the art of spinning to a new level".
- Hutchinson, Kate (4 June 2007). "East End's top DJs". Time Out London. Time Out Group Ltd. Retrieved 11 November 2008.
- "STEPPER MAN - Record Label". stepper-man.com. Retrieved 2017-01-21.
- "Decibel Nutrition: The Team". www.decibelnutrition.com. Retrieved 2017-01-21.
- "Hour long workout with super-trainer Rob... - Decibel Nutrition | Facebook". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2017-01-21.
- "REWIND: 238 DJS & ARTISTS LOOK BACK ON 2016". Big Shot Magazine. Big Shot Magazine. Retrieved 21 January 2017.
- "Kissy & Cobra in Romania 2016 | Facebook". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2017-01-21.
- "San City High All Stars". iTunes. Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- "San City High All Stars, Vol. 2 (Mixed by Kissy Sell Out)". iTunes. Retrieved 24 November 2015.
- "This Is Our Night by Kissy Sell Out on Beatport". Beatport. SFX Entertainment. Retrieved 21 January 2017.
- "Always (Together Forever) by Kissy Sell Out & Robert Owens on Beatport". Beatport. SFX Entertainment. Retrieved 21 January 2017.
- "Caught Up - Single". Retrieved 24 November 2015.
- "Tell You - Single". Retrieved 24 November 2015.
- "Deeper In Love - Single". Retrieved 24 November 2015.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 14 July 2014. Retrieved 2014-06-06.
- The Promise - Kissy Sell Out - (Official Promo Video). YouTube. 12 May 2014. Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- "Toyboy & Robin, Daniel Brooks, Suck Fake, Disposition, J A S P E R, Indian Summer, Kissy Sell Out — Who Walks Alone (Remixes) [San City High Records] :: Beatport". beatport.com. Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- "Kissy Sell Out — Ready for the World feat. Herve and Elliot Chapman(Dub Version) [San City High Records] :: Beatport Pro". beatport.com. Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- "Kissy Sell Out - Ready For The World ft Elliot Chapman (Radio Edit)". SoundCloud. Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- "Early Morning Crew (feat. Kissy Sell Out) - Single". iTunes. Retrieved 24 November 2015.
- "Turn It On (Remixes)". iTunes. Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- "Fekky". disordermagazine.com. Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- http://www.ish-media.com/artistdetail.php?artid=187[permanent dead link]
- "Your Army - Welcome". your-army.com. Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- Graham, Mhairi (3 August 2007). "Kissy Sell Out – 'Her'". Gigwise. Retrieved 11 November 2008.
- "KISSY SELL OUT : Her". Phonica. Archived from the original on 4 March 2009. Retrieved 11 November 2008.
- "Mixmag Presents Kissy Sell Out's Blowout". Sanity. Archived from the original on 4 April 2015. Retrieved 24 November 2015.
- "Various: Ministry Of Sound / Mashed 4: 2CD (CD)". Sanity. Retrieved 11 November 2008.[dead link]
- "Kissy Sell Out". Discogs. Retrieved 2015-11-24.
- "Finger Bang feat Servante (Kissy Sell Out Remix) by Gettoblaster, Servante on Beatport". www.beatport.com. Retrieved 2017-08-10.
- "Run DMC - Walk This Way [Kissy Sell Out Remix]". SoundCloud. Retrieved 2015-11-24.
- "BBC Radio 1 - Kissy Sell Out". BBC. Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- Green, Thomas H. (April 2010), "The Mad Hatter's Free Party!", Mixmag
- BBC. "BBC - Radio 1 - Essential Mix - Tracklisting". bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- "International DJ Magazine". i-dj.co.uk. Retrieved 11 September 2015.