November 23, 1932 |
Toki District, Gifu, Japan
Kunie Tanaka (田中 邦衛 Tanaka Kunie?, born November 23, 1932) is a Japanese actor. He had his first notable role in 1960 as a thug in Akira Kurosawa's The Bad Sleep Well, and worked with the director again on Sanjuro. Tanaka is well known for his roles in Kinji Fukasaku's yakuza films, namely the Battles Without Honor and Humanity series. He also appeared in Masaki Kobayashi's Kwaidan.
He has been nominated for five Japanese Academy Awards, winning the Best Supporting Actor statuette for Gakko in 1993. He appeared as the lecherous Shinjiro Ishiyama, nicknamed Aodaishō, the antagonist of the hero, played by Yuzo Kayama, in all of the Wakadaishō series of films. The character Kizaru, from Eiichiro Oda's manga series One Piece, is modeled after Tanaka.
- The Bad Sleep Well (1960)
- Daigaku no Wakadaishō (1961)
- Sanjuro (1962)
- Kwaidan (1964)
- Eleki no Wakadaishō (1965)
- The Sword of Doom (1966) as Senkichi
- Battles Without Honor and Humanity (1973)
- Battles Without Honor and Humanity: Proxy War (1973)
- Battles Without Honor and Humanity: Police Tactics (1974)
- Battles Without Honor and Humanity: Final Episode (1974)
- Lupin the Third: Strange Psychokinetic Strategy (1974)
- New Battles Without Honor and Humanity (1974)
- Graveyard of Honor (1975)
- Cops vs. Thugs (1975)
- Kimi yo funnu no kawa wo watare (1976)
- Dainamaito dondon (1978)
- Izakaya Choji (1983)
- Soushun Monogatari (1985)
- Yojo no jidai (1988)
- Tasmania Story (1990)
- Luminous Moss (1992)
- Gakko (1993)
- Tora-san to the Rescue (Part of the series Otoko wa Tsurai yo) (1995)
- Minna no Ie (2001) aka Everyone's Home
- 第 17 回日本アカデミー賞優秀作品 (in Japanese). Japan Academy Prize. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- Stuart Galbraith IV (16 May 2008). The Toho Studios Story: A History and Complete Filmography. Scarecrow Press. p. 227. ISBN 978-1-4616-7374-3.
|This article about a Japanese actor or actress is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|