Kurung Kumey district
|Kurung Kumey district|
|District of Arunachal Pradesh|
Location of Kurung Kumey district in Arunachal Pradesh
|• Sex ratio||1029|
Origin of name
The name of this district is derived from the Kurung and the Kumey, the two principal rivers which flow through it. According to myth the Kurung and the Kumey rivers were two sisters; during the age of marriage Kurung eloped without prior permission from her parents and Kumey got married according to her parents' wishes. Therefore, the Kurung flows with a violent roar and ashy colour because her parents shouted and threw ashes after her, while the Kumey flows silently and clearly.
The territory occupied by the present district became part of the North East Frontier Tracts in 1914. In 1954, it became part of Subansiri Frontier Division, which was later renamed as Lower Subansiri district. On 1 April 2001, this district was created by bifurcating Lower Subansiri district.
According to the 2011 census Kurung Kumey district has a population of 89,717, roughly equal to the nation of Seychelles. This gives it a ranking of 617th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 15 inhabitants per square kilometre (39/sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001–2011 was 111.01%. Kurung Kumey has a sex ratio of 1029 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 50.67%. Hiya village under Nyapin circle is the largest village of Kurung Kumey district in terms of geographical area and human population.
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in.
- Law, Gwillim (25 September 2011). "Districts of India". Statoids. Retrieved 2011-10-11.
- "Assembly Constituencies allocation w.r.t District and Parliamentary Constituencies". Chief Electoral Officer, Arunachal Pradesh website. Retrieved 21 March 2011.
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison: Population". Retrieved 2011-10-01.
Seychelles 89,188 July 2011 est.
- Kurung Kumey district website
-  List of Places in Kurung-Kumey
- 50 pc voters exercise franchise
- Kurung Kumey 14th district in Arunachal
- PHED profile
- Health workers take the road less travelled in Arunachal
- In Arunachal records, a tribal eats 64 kg rice
||China||Upper Subansiri district|
|East Kameng district||Papum Pare district||Lower Subansiri district|
|This article about a location in the Indian state of Arunachal Pradesh is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|