Lake Dalecarlia, Indiana
Lake Dalecarlia, Indiana
Location in Lake County, Indiana
|• Total||1.40 sq mi (3.63 km2)|
|• Land||1.13 sq mi (2.93 km2)|
|• Water||0.27 sq mi (0.70 km2)|
|Elevation||712 ft (217 m)|
|• Density||1,199/sq mi (462.9/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0433293|
Lake Dalecarlia is a census-designated place (CDP) in Lake County, Indiana, United States. The population was 1,355 at the 2010 census. The name comes from the English name of the Dalarna region of Sweden. The community is centered on the lake of the same name, which was completed in the 1920s.
The Lake Dalecarlia community is located in southern Lake County at  surrounding a lake of the same name. The community is at the northern end of Cedar Creek Township and is bordered to the north by the town of Cedar Lake.(41.331727, -87.403852),
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 1.4 square miles (3.6 km2), of which 1.1 square miles (2.9 km2) are land and 0.3 square miles (0.7 km2), or 19.27%, are water. The community's namesake lake is a reservoir on Cedar Creek, a south-flowing tributary of the Kankakee River and thus part of the Illinois River watershed.
|Source: US Census Bureau|
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,285 people, 506 households, and 363 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 904.7 people per square mile (349.4/km2). There were 571 housing units at an average density of 402.0/sq mi (155.3/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 98.21% White, 0.39% African American, 0.39% Native American, 0.08% Asian, 0.16% from other races, and 0.78% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.33% of the population.
There were 506 households, out of which 28.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 62.6% were married couples living together, 5.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.1% were non-families. 23.3% of all households were made up of individuals, and 8.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.54 and the average family size was 3.02.
In the CDP, the population was spread out, with 22.8% under the age of 18, 7.9% from 18 to 24, 27.8% from 25 to 44, 28.5% from 45 to 64, and 13.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females, there were 100.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.8 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $52,454, and the median income for a family was $54,297. Males had a median income of $44,659 versus $21,250 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $25,068. About 1.9% of families and 4.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 5.0% of those under age 18 and 6.1% of those age 65 or over.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "History of LD". Lake Dalecarlia Property Owners Association. Archived from the original on 22 December 2014. Retrieved 21 December 2014.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Census Summary File 1 (DP-1), Lake Dalecarlia CDP, Indiana". American FactFinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on February 13, 2020. Retrieved January 21, 2020.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-12-22. Retrieved 2014-12-21.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Oostman, Carol Ann (January 2012). Cedar Lake. Arcadia Publishing. p. 105. ISBN 978-0-7385-8263-4.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Gazetteer Files: 2019: Places: Indiana". U.S. Census Bureau Geography Division. Retrieved January 21, 2020.