Langho railway station
|Local authority||Ribble Valley|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Original company||Bolton, Blackburn, Clitheroe and West Yorkshire Railway|
|Pre-grouping||Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway|
|Post-grouping||London Midland and Scottish Railway|
|22 June 1850||Opened|
|7 May 1956||Closed|
|29 May 1994||Reopened|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Langho from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
It is one of four railway stations along the Ribble line from Blackburn to Clitheroe reopened in 1994 by British Rail and Lancashire County Council, having been closed by the British Railways Board as an economy measure in 1956, six years before the local passenger service over the line ceased. The station has maintained transport links with existing bus services and has its services provided by Northern.
The station is unmanned and has no ticketing provision, so these must be bought on the train or in advance of travel. The two platforms are staggered, either side of the pedestrian underpass that links them (the Clitheroe-bound one being the more northerly of the two); the original station had its platforms opposite one another but the building of new housing prevented this arrangement from being used for its replacement.. Shelters are provided on each platform, along with timetable poster boards and customer help point. Running information is also made available by automatic announcements and telephone. No step-free access is possible, as the platforms are above street level and only reached via stairs.
On Sundays in the summer, one or two trains operate from Preston or Blackpool North along the Ribble Valley Line via Clitheroe to Hellifield railway station and onwards towards Carlisle. These terminate at Hellifield in the winter, but have onward connections for stations to Carlisle.
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. p. 138. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Daniels, Gerald David; Dench, Leslie Alan (February 1963) . Passengers No More 1952–1962. Closures of stations and branch lines (PDF) (2nd ed.). Brighton: GLO. p. 17. OCLC 504319235.
- "Langho railway station, Lancashire (2012)" Thompson, Nigel Goegraph.org.uk; Retrieved 23 May 2017
- Langho station facilities National Rail Enquiries; Retrieved 23 May 2017
- Table 94 National Rail timetable, May 2017
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Langho railway station.|
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
Ribble Valley Line
|Ramsgreave and Wilpshire|