Larry Dixon (fantasy artist)
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (October 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Larry Dixon appearing at CONvergence in July 2008.
|Born||July 28, 1966|
|Occupation||fantasy artist and novelist|
|Genre||fantasy, role-playing games|
Dixon, the son of a Delta Force career commando, studied at The North Carolina School of the Arts and at Savannah College of Art & Design. In 1992, he married fantasy author Mercedes Lackey; they live in the Tulsa, Oklahoma area. Dixon, a sports car enthusiast, is also a storm spotter and volunteer firefighter.
Larry has collaborated with his wife, Mercedes Lackey, on a number of her books, including:
- Storm Breaking (illustrator)
- The Mage Wars Trilogy (DAW)
- The SERRAted Edge Novels (Baen)
- The Owl Trilogy (DAW)
Dixon has contributed artwork to Wizards of the Coast's Dungeons & Dragons source books, including Oriental Adventures, Epic Level Handbook, and Fiend Folio. His skill with depicting birds of prey has often led to commissions with the United States Military and with Save Our American Raptors, an organization devoted to raptor rehabilitation.
As a birds-of-prey rehabilitation specialist, Dixon, along with Lackey, has returned over four hundred hawks, owls, falcons and corbies into the wild. He is currently working toward his falconry license with his friend Cheyenne, a horned owl.
Dixon's wildlife rehabilitation led to a minor role in the creation of the digital effects for the giant eagles in the Lord of the Rings movies. Dixon took digital photographs of a stuffed golden eagle he is currently keeping for its owner, a local tribal elder. These photographs, along with castings of the beak and talons, were sent to Weta Digital in New Zealand to provide texture mapping for the digital model for Gwaihir and company.
Larry is a frequent guest at fantasy, art, and comic conventions. Guest of Honor appearances include ICON 17 (1992), ConFurence 4 (1993), Odyssey-con (2001), CONvergence (2005), FenCon II (2005), Swancon (2006), CAPEday (2007), and many more. He is scheduled to appear at Dragon Con (Atlanta) and CONvergence in 2008 and appeared at Anthrocon in 2013 as Guest of Honor.
- Dixon's personal homepage
- Lane, Tahree (October 22, 2006). "Magical forces move Mercedes Lackey to write", The Blade, p. I1.
- Devers, Beth (August 1996). "The Silver Gryphon", Library Journal 42 (8): 185.
- Cassada, Jackie (August 1994). "SF & fantasy – Chrome Circle by Mercedes Lackey and Larry Dixon", Library Journal 119 (13): 139.
- Green, Roland (March 15, 1992). "Science Fiction – Born to Run by Mercedes Lackey and Larry Dixon", Booklist 88 (14): 1344.
- Zaleski, Jeff (September 28, 1998). "Owlsight", Publishers Weekly 245 (39): 78.