League of Legends Pro League
|Sport||League of Legends|
|Motto||Heroes Beyond the Peak|
|No. of teams||14|
East region: Beijing, Shanghai, Hangzhou|
West region: Chongqing, Chengdu, Xi'an
|Royal Never Give Up|
|Most titles||Edward Gaming (5 times)|
|Sponsor(s)||wywk, Gigabyte, Intel, RACCUA, Logitec|
|Level on pyramid||Tier 1|
|Relegation to||League of Legends Secondary Pro League|
Tencent League of Legends Pro League (LPL) (simplified Chinese: 英雄联盟职业联赛; traditional Chinese: 英雄聯盟職業聯賽; pinyin: yīng xióng lián méng zhí yè lián sài) is the top level League of Legends league in China.The first season of the LPL was the 2013 Spring season. The top three finishers of the playoff tournament receive automatic bids to the League of Legends World Championship. Playoffs are an eight team single elimination with each step a best-of-five series. The total prize pool is ¥2,350,000. In 2014 Riot Games began providing an English language broadcast. The format is modeled after the League of Legends Champions Korea format in South Korea. In September 2015 it was announced that Riot Games was in negotiations with Tencent to take over operations of the league.
For the 2015 Spring season the LPL adopted a best of two series. Teams play a double round robin.
As of 2017, the league will adopt the EU LCS format for selecting regular season groups. The highest ranked teams from the previous split will head the groups with other teams being selected. This also means the format now includes the best of 3 matches.
For the 2018 Summer Split, the LPL will resume the following format:
- Two groups of seven teams are drawn, based on the location of team's home venues - either within the West Region (Chengdu, Chongqing, Xi'an) or East Region (Beijing, Hangzhou, Shanghai)
- Based on home venues, OMG (Chengdu), Snake Esports (Chongqing) and Team WE (Xi'an) must be drawn into the West group while LGD Gaming (Hangzhou) and Royal Never Give Up (Beijing) must be drawn into the East group
- Teams without their home venues drawn based on Spring Season performances, all groups must consist of 7 teams
- Each team plays 19 matches.
- Double Round Robin within own group.
- Single Round Robin against other group.
- All matches are best of 3.
Participants (2018 Summer)
|EDward Gaming||Bilibili Gaming|
|FunPlus Esports||JD Gaming|
|Rogue Warriors||Invictus Gaming|
|Snake Esports||Royal Never Give Up|
|Topsports Gaming||Suning Gaming|
|Team WE||Vici Gaming|
|2013 Spring||Invictus Gaming||Oh My God||Team WE||Positive Energy|
|2013 Summer||Oh My God||Royal Club||Positive Energy||Team WE|
|2014 Spring||EDward Gaming||Invictus Gaming||Oh My God||Team WE|
|2014 Summer||EDward Gaming||Oh My God||Star Horn Royal Club||LGD Gaming|
|2015 Spring||EDward Gaming||LGD Gaming||Invictus Gaming||Snake eSports|
|2015 Summer||LGD Gaming||Qiao Gu Reapers||Invictus Gaming||EDward Gaming|
|2016 Spring||Royal Never Give Up||EDward Gaming||Team WE||Qiao Gu Reapers|
|2016 Summer||EDward Gaming||Royal Never Give Up||I May||Team WE|
|2017 Spring||Team WE||Royal Never Give Up||EDward Gaming||Oh My God|
|2017 Summer||EDward Gaming||Royal Never Give Up||Invictus Gaming||Team WE|
|2018 Spring||Royal Never Give Up||EDward Gaming||Rogue Warriors||Invictus Gaming|
|2018 Summer||Royal Never Give Up||Invictus Gaming||JD Gaming||Rogue Warriors|
|Royal Never Give Up||3||4||1||0|
|Oh My God||1||2||1||1|
- League of Legends Championship Series, equivalent competition in North America and Europe
- "Riot planning English broadcast of the LPL".
- Śmigiel, Kacper (June 26, 2015). "6 reasons why China's LPL picked up Korea's OGN format".
- Moser, Kelsey (September 8, 2015). "Riot Games in talks to assume control of LoL tournaments in China". Retrieved September 11, 2015.
- "The LCS, LPL & LCK 2017 Summer Formats". June 2017.