Letting Go (Dutty Love)
|"Letting Go (Dutty Love)"|
|Single by Sean Kingston featuring Nicki Minaj|
|Released||August 3, 2010|
|Sean Kingston singles chronology|
|Nicki Minaj singles chronology|
"Letting Go (Dutty Love)" is a song by American recording artist Sean Kingston. It was produced by Stargate, and features Trinidadian recording artist Nicki Minaj. The song was originally released as the second single from Kingston's third studio album, Back 2 Life, but was taken off for unknown reasons. The song samples Rihanna's "Te Amo" which was also produced by the same production team, Stargate. As of December 2014, the song has sold 1.1 million copies in the United States.
The song was produced by Stargate and written by Sean Kingston, Ester Dean, Stargate, Traci Hale, and Nicki Minaj who appears on the track. The Official Remix Features Rapper Rick Ross With the release of the song, Kingston commented on how proud he was of his song, calling it his strongest single yet. He stated on his Twitter "Okay, so I never felt so good about ANY of my songs since ‘Beautiful Girls’ but trust me when I tell YOU... ‘Letting Go (Dutty Love)’ is a HIT!"
An alternate version of the song exists that appears to be an earlier version of the song. Said version does not feature vocals from Nicki Minaj, which suggests that it was the original version of the song before Minaj has been arranged, and therefore has a different third verse; furthermore the ending is extended and features one more repetition of the last line. The song's length of 3 minutes and 47 seconds is about the same as the regular version (that includes the intro by Minaj from the third verse at the beginning). This alternate version is referred to as Letting Go (Dutty Love) (Promo Only Clean Edit). It is not known if the version was leaked or distributed for promotional use by the record label.
The song samples Rihanna's "Te Amo" which was also produced by the same production team, Stargate. The song has been described as an "island-tinged" jam that features synthesized dance floor beats and air horn effects. Minaj is featured in the song during the bridge and an additional verse reining in her R-rated commentary on the light-and-fluffy track. "Letting Go (Dutty Love)" lyrically speaks of about new love, letting go of worries and just having fun. The melody and its backbeat feature the "Dutty, dutty, dutty love love" which has been complimented. Kingston accentuates a Caribbean drawl atop steel drums and a heavy bassline.
Rap-Up gave the song a positive review stating "Sound the alarm. Sean Kingston has just entered the race for the song of the summer." Erika Brooks Adickman of Idolator commented "All in all, we want to slap on some roller-skates and bop our heads to this song on our iPods. Can we place 'Letting Go (Dutty Love)' in the race as Song for the Summer? On December 2, 2011 this song was certified platinum by the RIAA."
A music video for the single was shot over the weekend of June 17, 2010, in Jamaica, directed by Lil X. Pictures of Kingston and Minaj on the set of the music video leaked onto the internet June 21, 2010, A sneak peek of the music video was released on Rap-Up on July 29. The music video premiered on Twitter August 3, 2010. The video takes place in a dance-hall in Jamaica with a cast of dancers and fire-breathers, including American-Jamaican artist Shaggy. Throughout the video, Kingston and Minaj are seen singing into the camera while dancing on the dance-floor and singing their verses on a stage into an old fashioned microphone. The video ends with Minaj blowing a kiss into the camera.
Charts and certifications
|Australian ARIA Singles Chart||73|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||35|
|Italian Airplay Chart||96|
|New Zealand Singles Chart||23|
|US Billboard Hot 100||36|
|US Dance/Mix Show Airplay (Billboard)||18|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||51|
|US Latin Pop Songs (Billboard)||24|
|US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard)||26|
|US Rhythmic (Billboard)||24|
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||1,305,000|
*sales figures based on certification alone
|United States||June 28, 2010||Rhythmic airplay|
|July 13, 2010||Mainstream|
|August 3, 2010||Digital download|
- Jun 7th 2010 6:36PM by Sara D Anderson (2010-06-07). "Sean Kingston, 'Letting Go (Dutty Love)' Feat. Nicki Minaj - New Song". AOL Radio Blog. Retrieved 2011-02-26.
- vivi1234you (2010-06-17). "Sean Kingston And Nicki Minaj Offer Up Their Dutty, Dutty "Letting Go" Video | Music News, Reviews, and Gossip on". Idolator.com. Retrieved 2010-08-17.
- Trust, Gary (2014-12-23). "Ask Billboard: Why Is There No R&B/Hip-Hop in the Hot 100's Top 10?". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 2014-12-23.
- "ACE Title Search - LETTING GO (DUTTY LOVE)". ASCAP. Retrieved 28 August 2011.
- "New Music: Sean Kingston f/ Nicki Minaj – 'Letting Go (Dutty Love)'". Rap-Up.com. Retrieved 2011-02-26.
- "East Coast Digital Radio-Hip-Hop/Rap Podcast/Blog - Download free podcast episodes by East Coast Digital Radio on iTunes". Itunes.apple.com. Retrieved 2010-08-05.
- "Sean Kingston And Nicki Minaj Feel Like "Letting Go" This Summer | Music News, Reviews, and Gossip on". Idolator.com. 2010-06-08. Retrieved 2011-02-26.
- "Ask Billboard: Paulina Rubio, Black Eyed Peas, Marvin Gaye". Billboard.com. Archived from the original on July 4, 2015. Retrieved 2010-08-17.
- "Sean Kingston Wants to Wife Nicki Minaj". Rap-Up.com. 2010-06-17. Retrieved 2010-08-05.
- Missy (2010-06-21). "On The Sets: Sean Kingston x Nicki Minaj – 'Letting Go (Dutty Love)' | HipHop-N-More". Hiphop-n-more.com. Retrieved 2010-08-05.
- "Sneak Peek: Sean Kingston f/ Nicki Minaj – 'Letting Go (Dutty Love)'". Rap-Up.com. 2010-07-29. Retrieved 2010-08-05.
- "Video: Sean Kingston f/ Nicki Minaj – 'Letting Go (Dutty Love)'". Rap-Up.com. Retrieved 2010-08-05.
-  ARIA Report 1073. Retrieved 2012-04-06
- "Sean Kingston feat. Nicki Minaj - Letting Go (Dutty Love)". Hung Medien. charts.org.nz. Retrieved 14 September 2010.
- "Sean Kingston Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Sean Kingston Chart History (Dance Mix/Show Airplay)". Billboard.
- "Sean Kingston Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs)". Billboard.
- "Sean Kingston Chart History (Latin Pop Songs)". Billboard.
- "Sean Kingston Chart History (Pop Songs)". Billboard.
- "Sean Kingston Chart History (Rhythmic)". Billboard.
- "American single certifications – Sean Kingston (Feat. Nicki Minaj) – Letting Go (Dutty Love)". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 2014-12-23. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.
- "Airplay Archive". FMQB. Archived from the original on 2015-09-13. Retrieved 2010-07-27.
- "Letting Go (Dutty Love) [feat. Nicki Minaj] - Single by Sean Kingston - Download Letting Go (Dutty Love) [feat. Nicki Minaj] - Single on iTunes". Itunes.apple.com. 1990-02-03. Retrieved 2010-08-05.