List of California state prisons
This is a list of state prisons in California housing adult inmates administered by the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR). It does not include federal prisons, county jails, or California Division of Juvenile Justice facilities located in California.
As of August 2016, California has about 6,000 state prisoners in two privately operated correctional centers in Arizona and Mississippi to relieve prison overcrowding: the La Palma Correctional Facility, and the Tallahatchie County Correctional Facility.
The state also contracts with the GEO Group to operate one 700-bed in-state facility, the Golden State Medium Community Correctional Facility in McFarland, California, and leases and operates another facility, the California City Correctional Center, which is owned by Corrections Corporation of America.
In addition to the prisons listed below, CDCR runs 43 "conservation camps" jointly with CalFire or the Los Angeles County Fire Department. These camps, located throughout the state, can house up to 4,522 adult inmates and 80 juveniles. These crews fight fires and respond to other emergencies.
- Avenal State Prison (ASP)
- California Correctional Center (CCC)
- California Correctional Institution (CCI)
- California Institution for Men (CIM)
- California Health Care Facility (CHCF)
- California Institution for Women (CIW)
- California Medical Facility (CMF)
- California Men's Colony (CMC)
- California Rehabilitation Center (CRC)
- California State Prison, Centinela (CEN)
- California State Prison, Corcoran (COR)
- California State Prison, Los Angeles County (LAC)
- California State Prison, Sacramento (SAC)
- California State Prison, Solano (SOL)
- California Substance Abuse Treatment Facility and State Prison, Corcoran (SATF)
- Calipatria State Prison (CAL)
- Central California Women's Facility (CCWF)
- Chuckawalla Valley State Prison (CVSP)
- Correctional Training Facility (CTF)
- Deuel Vocational Institution (DVI)
- Folsom State Prison (FSP)
- High Desert State Prison (HDSP)
- Ironwood State Prison (ISP)
- Kern Valley State Prison (KVSP)
- Mule Creek State Prison (MCSP)
- North Kern State Prison (NKSP)
- Pelican Bay State Prison (PBSP)
- Pleasant Valley State Prison (PVSP)
- Richard J. Donovan Correctional Facility (RJD)
- Salinas Valley State Prison (SVSP)
- San Quentin State Prison (SQ)
- Sierra Conservation Center (SCC)
- Valley State Prison (VSPW)
- Wasco State Prison - Reception Center (WSP)
- Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (2009). "Adult Facilities and Locations". State of California. Archived from the original on 2008-02-22. Retrieved 2008-02-24.
- Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (2009). "California's Correctional Facilities" (PDF). State of California. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2007-12-14. Retrieved 2008-02-24.
- Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (2009). "Housing Inmates Out-of-State". State of California. Retrieved 2016-08-18.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-08-28. Retrieved 2016-08-21.
- "CoreCivic: Better the Public Good". Cca.com. Retrieved 25 August 2018.
- "Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation". Cdcr.ca.gov. Retrieved 2018-03-18.