Live in Gdańsk
|Live in Gdańsk|
|Live album by|
|Released||22 September 2008|
Specific regions are detailed below
|Recorded||26 August 2006|
|Genre||Progressive rock, Blues-rock, Symphonic rock|
|Length||2:28:58 (2-CD version),|
7:40:58 (4-disc 2-CD/2-DVD version),
8:58:24 (5-disc 3-CD/2-DVD version)
2:58:47 (iTunes version)
|Producer||David Gilmour, Phil Manzanera|
|David Gilmour chronology|
Live in Gdańsk is a live album by David Gilmour. It is a part of his On an Island project which includes an album, tour, DVD, and live album. It was released on 22 September 2008. A David Gilmour Signature Series Fender Stratocaster was released at the same time.
It is a recording of the final show of his On an Island Tour in 2006, where he played to an audience of 50,000 at the Gdańsk Shipyard to celebrate the founding of the Solidarity trade union. The show featured the song "A Great Day for Freedom", from the Pink Floyd album The Division Bell (1994) and was the only show of the tour to feature it. It was last performed by Gilmour during his semi-acoustic shows in 2002.
Gilmour played the entire On an Island album during this concert.
It's also the final Pink Floyd-related recording to feature Richard Wright, who died on 15 September 2008, one week before the album's official release. Gilmour and his band were backed by the Polish Baltic Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Zbigniew Preisner. Leszek Możdżer was featured on piano as a special guest.
The six different available editions of Live in Gdańsk are:
- 2-disc edition containing the concert on CD
- 3-disc edition containing the above plus a DVD featuring 114 minutes of concert footage, plus a 36-minute documentary
- 4-disc edition containing the above plus a 5.1-surround sound mix of On an Island and 11 extra audio-visual tracks taken from various TV appearances
- 5-disc deluxe edition containing the above plus an extra CD containing 12 bonus live tracks from the 2006 tour as well as a wallet of memorabilia.
- 5-LP vinyl edition containing the whole Gdansk show, including "Wot's... Uh the Deal?" and a bonus LP containing 2 Barn Jams, "On the Turning Away" and 2 songs from Live at Abbey Road.
- iTunes edition containing the entire album, plus various region-dependent audio and video extras.
The DVD that comes with the 3, 4, and 5 disc sets allowed the purchaser to download 12 additional tracks free of charge via a web-pass. (As of May 2010, this content is no longer accessible.) These tracks included all 12 tracks on the bonus CD included with the 5 disc version, and the song "Wot's...Uh the Deal?" that was performed at the concert but not included on the album itself. The bonus tracks were released one per month as follows:
- September 2008: "Wot's...Uh the Deal?" (Gdańsk)
- October 2008: "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" (Venice and Vienne)
- November 2008: "Dominoes" (Paris)
- December 2008: "The Blue" (Vienne)
- January 2009: "Take a Breath" (Munich)
- February 2009: "Wish You Were Here" (Glasgow)
- March 2009: "Coming Back to Life" (Florence)
- April 2009: "Find the Cost of Freedom" (Manchester)
- May 2009: "This Heaven" (Vienne)
- June 2009: "Wearing the Inside Out" (Milan)
- July 2009: "A Pocketful of Stones" (Vienne)
- August 2009: "Where We Start" (Vienne)
- September 2009: "On the Turning Away" (Venice)
Below are the official track listings for the different editions of the album.
The standard two CD edition is the most basic form of the album and is simply the recording of the Gdańsk show, omitting "Wot's... Uh the Deal?":
This version contains the two CDs above and the following DVD:
DVD (Disc 3)
Songs performed at the show but are omitted from the DVD are:
This version contains the three discs above and the following DVD:
DVD (Disc 4)
This version contains the four discs above and the following CD containing the 12 live tracks that are available via the web-pass on Disc 3.
The deluxe edition is no longer in production.
The Deluxe Edition also contains a 20-page booklet (the other versions have a 12-page booklet) and these items of memorabilia:
The vinyl edition of the album is no longer in production.
- Plus a 20-page booklet and a web-pass which allows a single download (mp3) version of one of the tracks from Disc 5 of the Deluxe Edition which can be downloaded to only one computer.
and the following:
- "Wearing the Inside Out" video (from the Mermaid Theatre)
- "Take a Breath" video (from Live from Abbey Road)
- "Speak to Me/Breathe/Time/Breathe (reprise)" [10:41] video (from Gdańsk) (US and Canada only)
- "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" [5:12] partial video (first verse onwards) (from Gdańsk) (US and Canada only)
- Digital booklet
Gilmour guested on Jools Holland's live TV show Later! Live.... with Jools Holland on BBC2 on 23 September 2008, originally to promote the new live album, performing the songs "Astronomy Domine", "The Blue" and "Fat Old Sun" but with the death of Richard Wright on 15 September he changed his set to "Remember a Day" (one of Rick Wright's contributions to the A Saucerful of Secrets album) and "The Blue" (a track from On an Island to which Wright contributed organ and vocals).
On Friday 26 September 2008, BBC Four held a David Gilmour Night, showing part of the Gdańsk concert and "Gdańsk Diary" documentary.
VH1 Classic ran parts of the Gdańsk concert on several nights in late October. The programme includes songs omitted from the DVD: "Speak to Me" / "Breathe", "Time", "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", and "Wish You Were Here".
Selected US cinemas gave showings of the "Gdańsk" concert during release week. This showing also included songs omitted from the DVD: "Speak to Me" / "Breathe", "Time", "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", and "Wish You Were Here", though the theaters' did not show "Echoes".
Westwood One aired a world première of the "Gdańsk" concert the weekend before release and included new interviews with David Gilmour.
Since the announcement of the sets release, Gilmour has had certain songs up on his site that vary, including "Fat Old Sun" and "Wot's... Uh the Deal?" in low quality.
Barn Jam Personnel
- David Gilmour – guitar, console steel guitar, drums on "192"
- Richard Wright – keyboards
- Guy Pratt – bass, guitar on "192"
- Steve DiStanislao – drums, double bass on "192"
The album debuted at number 10 on the UK Album chart and debuted at number 26 on the US Billboard album chart.
The release dates for the album are as follows:
- Europe, Brazil, Israel, New Zealand - 22 September 2008
- North America, Argentina, Chile - 23 September 2008
- Australia - 27 September 2008
- Japan - 8 October 2008
- Allmusic review
- BBC review
- ChartAttack review Archived 10 January 2009 at the Wayback Machine
- The Guardian review
- IGN review Archived 8 August 2009 at the Wayback Machine
- Clerk, Carol (2008–09), David Gilmour - Live in Gdansk, Classic Rock Check date values in:
- On an Island blog page at David Gilmour website Archived 11 June 2008 at the Wayback Machine
- Page about the bonus tracks at David Gilmour website Archived 14 June 2008 at the Wayback Machine
- Gdansk album page at David Gilmour website
- "David Gilmour | Artist". Official Charts. Retrieved 12 July 2012.
- "Live In Gdansk - chart positions". swisscharts.com. 2008-10-03. Retrieved 2008-10-03.
- web pass blog page at David Gilmour website Archived 20 April 2014 at the Wayback Machine
- Blog page at David Gilmour website Archived 22 September 2008 at the Wayback Machine