Lower Swedish Cabin
Lower Swedish Cabin
Lower Swedish Cabin, November 2009
|Location||Creek Rd, Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania|
|Area||1.7 acres (0.69 ha)|
|Architectural style||Swedish Plan|
|NRHP reference #||80003484|
|Added to NRHP||June 9, 1980|
|Designated PHMC||October 21, 1989|
Lower Swedish Cabin is an historic Swedish-style log cabin on Creek Road in Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania (a census designated section of Upper Darby), along Darby Creek. The cabin may be one of the oldest log cabins in the United States.
It was likely built sometime between 1640 and 1650 by Swedish immigrants who were part of the New Sweden colony. Although claims have been made that in the early 1900s, film pioneer Siegmund Lubin filmed several movies at the site, recent scholarship does not support this assertion. The house served as a private residence until 1937, when it was recorded by the Historic American Buildings Survey and the Cabin became the property of the township of Upper Darby. After neglect and vandalism throughout the mid-1900s the house was restored in 1987.
- List of the oldest buildings in Pennsylvania
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Delaware County, Pennsylvania
- National Park Service (2009-03-13). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "PHMC Historical Markers". Historical Marker Database. Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission. Retrieved December 20, 2013.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on November 7, 2012. Retrieved June 16, 2013.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Eckhardt, Joseph P. (1997-01-01). The King of the Movies: Film Pioneer Siegmund Lubin. Fairleigh Dickinson Univ Press. ISBN 9780838637289.
- "National Historic Landmarks & National Register of Historic Places in Pennsylvania" (Searchable database). CRGIS: Cultural Resources Geographic Information System. Note: This includes David C. Stacks (October 1974). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory Nomination Form: Lower Swedish Cabin" (PDF). Retrieved 2012-01-06.
- Friends of the Swedish Cabin
- on YouTube
- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) No. PA-135, "Lower Swedish Log Cabin, Darby Creek vicinity (Clifton Heights), Darby, Delaware County, PA", 4 photos, 8 measured drawings, 2 data pages, 1 photo caption page, supplemental material
- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) No. PA-136, "Upper Swedish Log Cabin, Darby Creek vicinity, Clifton Heights (Upper Darby Township), Darby, Delaware County, PA", 5 photos, 4 measured drawings, 1 data page, 1 photo caption page - survey from 1937 of a nearby log cabin of similar date and construction, since demolished
|This article about a property in Delaware County, Pennsylvania on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|