|Type||Main battle tank|
|Place of origin||Serbia and Montenegro|
|Designer||Military Technical Institute Belgrade|
|Crew||3 (commander, gunner, driver)|
|Armor||cylindrical pad, high-hardness steel, titanium, aluminium, tungsten, NERA plus modular Kontakt-5, Shtora|
|125 mm 2A46M smoothbore gun and a 9M119 Svir|
|7.62 mm M86 coaxial machine gun, 12.7 mm M87 anti-aircraft machine gun|
The modernization gives an improved fire-control system with integrated day/night sight. The M84A1 gun is replaced with a similar but improved gun which, along with better control characteristics, enables easy and fast field replacement of the barrel. The M-84AS tank is able to fire anti-tank guided missiles with laser guidance through the barrel, which enables accurate engagement of enemy tanks up to 5 km.
The M-84AS is equipped with non-explosive and non-energetic reactive armour (NERA) which offers protection against modern tandem charge warheads on missiles. It is also equipped with the modern Shtora electro-optical system for defense against wire and laser guided anti-tank missiles. The new turret will provide protection against Kinetic Energy (RHAe) anti-tank guided missiles. Its new 9M119 Refleks is a laser beam riding guided anti-tank missile designed to penetrate 900 mm of RHA.
No serial production has been undertaken yet.
Apart from external differences to the M-84, it also has different internal structure and equipment, far surpassing the M-84AB in both capability and durability. Developed originally from the M-84, the M-84AS is more than just a quick tweak to bring it up to standard. Many improvements were adopted from what can be argued to be its sister tank, the T-90S. With slight differences in armour and maneuverability; the T-90S is better armoured while the M-84AS is faster and more maneuverable. Considering the speed perspective, the M-84AS moves at 75 km/h on road while the T-90S moves at 60 km/h on road with off-road speeds varying according to terrain. The armor on the T-90S is somewhat superior with thicker composites, NBC protection as well as having the option of Active Protection System and KMT mine sweeping systems. Aside from the propulsion and armor, the targeting system is equivalent.
- "www.yugoimport.com • Pogledaj temu - Multisenzorska platforma TOMS". Yugoimport.com. Archived from the original on 2011-07-18. Retrieved 2010-02-07.
- "Tenk M-84AB1" (in Serbian). Oklop.net23.net. Archived from the original on 2010-03-22. Retrieved 2010-02-07.[self-published source?]
- "Refleks / 9K119, 9M119, AT-11 Sniper, Svir". Deagel.com. 2010-01-10. Archived from the original on 2010-12-12. Retrieved 2010-02-07.
- "Simple arguments for crack influence on scaling of interface defeat" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on July 20, 2011. Retrieved 2010-02-07.
- "Shtora-1 Active Protection System". Defense-update.com. Archived from the original on 2010-04-14. Retrieved 2010-02-07.
- Tank Т-90С
- T-80U and T-90 Trials 20.10.99
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to M-84AS.|
- Article on the M84-AB1, published in "Odbrana" ‹See Tfd›(in Serbian)
- Article on M-84 published by UK parliament commons
- Forecast international on tank engine
- Canadian assessment of ordnance