|Type||Main battle tank|
|Place of origin||Iran|
|Manufacturer||Bani Hashim Defense Industrial Complex|
|Length||6.8 m (hull)|
|Crew||3 (Gunner, Commander and Driver)|
|Armor||Composite armor, with ERA (possibly Relikt ERA "copy" for turret)|
|125 mm 2A46M/M-2/M-5 smoothbore gun with stabilizer|
|12.7mm machine gun / 7.62mm machine gun|
|Possibly 550 km (plus with 280 km more from fuel tank)|
|Maximum speed||~70 km/h|
Karrar (Persian كرار lit. Striker) is an Iranian third generation main battle tank. The tank was announced on 12 March 2017. At the announcement, it was stated that it possessed an electro-optical fire control system, a laser rangefinder, ballistic computer and could fire at both stationary and mobile targets in day or night.
After the Karrar was unveiled to the public, Tehran announced that it will undergo mass production on 12 March 2017.
Speaking to the Tasnim News Agency, Brigadier General Kiomars Heidari has mentioned that the Karrar would be delivered in 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Karrar.|
The main armament of the Karrar consists of a 125 mm smoothbore gun fitted with a fume extractor and a thermal sleeve. A remotely operated weapon station armed with a 12.7 mm machine gun is mounted on the roof of the turret. The main gun is able to fire anti-tank laser-guided missiles. An autoloader is also installed, removing the need of a loader.
The Karrar is supposedly fitted with latest generation of composite armor, with explosive reactive armor (ERA) panels mounted on the front of the hull and turret. There is also armour plates on the sides and slat armour at the rear of the hull and turret.
External fuel tanks can be attached to the rear in order to extend its range.
In November 22, 2020, a service variant was shown. It lacked the metal sheet on the barrel, was painted in a tan color scheme, a different remote weapon station, a new gunners sight, upgraded optical systems, and an electro-optical jamming system.
Similarity to Russian tanks
Defence Minister Brig. Gen. Hossein Dehqan said that the "tank can compete with the most advanced tanks in the world in three main areas: power, precision and mobility, as well as maintenance and durability on the battleground… The Karrar has the capability to fire missiles and precisely guide them [towards the target], Moreover Karrar can be operated by the gunner and commander from two parallel sights.”
"It is no coincidence that specialists regard the Karrar as some kind of a copy of the Russian-made T-90MS, the most advanced modification of the T-90 platform", according to retired Maj. Gen. Vladimir Bogatyrev, chair of the Board of the Russian National Association of Retired Military Officers. He also added that "It is based on the T-72 platform, but it also has something from the American Abrams and M60 tanks. Some elements are borrowed from the M48 and the British Chieftain tank. They took all these elements and tried to design their own tank."
- Production of 800 New Tanks to be Delivered to the Army and the IRGC + Details
- "Iran launches production line of new Karrar home-made MBT main battle tank". Army Recognition. 12 March 2017. Archived from the original on 14 March 2017. Retrieved 12 March 2017.
- Trew, Bel (14 March 2017). "Iran turns its back on Russia and China with own battle tank". The Times. Cairo. Archived from the original on 14 March 2017. Retrieved 15 March 2017.
- ARG. "Karrar Main Battle Tank - Military-Today.com". www.military-today.com. Archived from the original on 6 August 2018. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- "Iran Unveils Highly Advanced Home-Made Battle Tank". Fars News Agency. 12 March 2017. Archived from the original on 12 March 2017. Retrieved 12 March 2017.
- Beckhusen, Robert (25 August 2016). "Iran's 'New' Karrar Tank: "One of the Most Advanced Tanks in the World"?". Archived from the original on 29 July 2018. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- "Iran unveils domestically produced tank, production line". Associated Press. 8 August 2017. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- Administrator. "Karrar MBT tank delivery to Iranian army March 2018 10907171 - July 2017 Global Defense Security news industry - Defense Security global news industry army 2017 - Archive News year". www.armyrecognition.com. Archived from the original on 12 October 2018. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- "Iran Plans To Manufacture, Upgrade Its Military Tanks". caspiannews.com. Retrieved 2021-04-08.
- "Iran's government rolls out new tank – photos of the Karrar". 13 March 2017. Archived from the original on 12 July 2018. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- "كرار نخستين تانك پيشرفته بومي كشور با حضور وزير دفاع رونمايي و خط توليد انبوه آن افتتاح شد+گزارش تصویری". Archived from the original on 2018-05-26. Retrieved 2018-03-31.
- Sambo, Scoty (2020-10-14). "The Dead District: Iranian Karrar MBT Walk Around". The Dead District. Retrieved 2021-04-08.