|Elevation||420 m (1,380 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
Mare' (Arabic: مارع Māriʿ, locally pronounced Mēreʿ), also spelled Marea, is a town in northern Aleppo Governorate, northwestern Syria. It is the largest town and administrative centre of the Mare' nahiyah in the Azaz District. Located some 25 kilometers north of the city of Aleppo, the town has a population of 16,904 as per the 2004 census. Nearby localities include Shaykh Issa and Tell Rifaat to the west, A'zaz to the northwest, Dabiq to the northeast, al-Bab to the southeast, and Maarat Umm Hawsh and Herbel to the south.
Syrian Civil War
Mare' has been affected by the ongoing Syrian uprising against the government of Bashar al-Assad. The Ibn Walid brigade of the opposition Free Syrian Army was formed in the town in August 2012. The Mare' Operations Room is as well based around the town.
As of May 2016, Mare' is under attack of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant. In February 2016, Russian airstrikes have preceded an assault by Kurdish YPG militias and forced the overwhelming majority of the population to escape. In August 2016, Mare' was reportedly controlled by FSA.
- "2004 Census Data for Nahiya Mare'" (in Arabic). Syrian Central Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 15 October 2015. Also available in English: UN OCHA. "2004 Census Data". Humanitarian Data Exchange. Retrieved 4 December 2015.
- As Aleppo battle rages, a new brigade joins the fight[permanent dead link]. Agence France Press. 2012-08-23.
- "Special Report: Northern Storm and the Situation in Azaz (Syria)". MERIA Journal. 7 January 2015. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- "The Syrian Refugees Trapped Between an Angry Turkey and a Vengeful Assad". Time magazine. 18 February 2016. Retrieved 24 June 2016.
- Chris Tomson. "Rebels advance rapidly amid full scale ISIS retreat in northern Aleppo - Map update". Al-Masdar News. Retrieved 2017-03-02.
- "Qasion News Agency | Opposition break the siege by ISIS on Mare'a". Qasioun.net. Retrieved 2017-03-02.
- "Factions carried out an attack near the opposite Mare` city and regain control of the town and the village and close to break the siege of the city". SOHR (in Arabic).
- Reuters Editorial (2016-06-08). "Islamic State withdraws from northwest Syria frontlines". Reuters. Retrieved 2017-03-02.
|This article about a location in Aleppo Governorate, Syria is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|