Martin Bridson at the Royal Society admissions day in London in 2016
|Born||Martin Robert Bridson|
1964 (age 53–54)
Douglas, Isle of Man
|Education||St Ninian's High School, Douglas|
|Alma mater||University of Oxford (BA)|
Cornell University (PhD)
|Fields||Geometric Group Theory|
|Institutions||University of Oxford|
|Thesis||Geodesics and Curvature in Metric Simplicial Complexes (1991)|
|Doctoral advisor||Karen Vogtmann|
|Doctoral students||Daniel Wise|
Martin Robert Bridson FRS is a Manx mathematician. He is the Whitehead Professor of Pure Mathematics and Head of the Mathematical Institute at the University of Oxford. He is a Fellow of Magdalen College, Oxford, and an Honorary Fellow of Hertford College, Oxford. Specializing in geometry, topology and group theory, Bridson is best known for his work in Geometric Group Theory.
Education and early life
Bridson is a native of the Isle of Man. He was educated at St Ninian's High School, Douglas, then Hertford College, Oxford, and Cornell University, receiving a Master of Arts degree from Oxford in 1986, and a Master of Science degree in 1988 followed by a PhD in 1991 from Cornell. His PhD thesis was supervised by Karen Vogtmann, and was entitled Geodesics and Curvature in Metric Simplicial Complexes.
Career and research
He was an Assistant Professor at Princeton University until 1996, was twice a Visiting Professor at the University of Geneva (1992 and 2006), and was Professor of Mathematics at Imperial College London from 2002 to 2007. From 1993 to 2002 he was a Tutorial Fellow of Pembroke College, Oxford, and Reader (1996) then Professor of Topology (2000) in the University of Oxford. He remains a Supernumerary Fellow of Pembroke College.
Honours and awards
- In 2016 he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society.
- In 2014 he was elected a Fellow of the American Mathematical Society.
- 1999 Whitehead Prize
- 2012 Royal Society Wolfson Research Merit Award
- Anon (2017). Bridson, Prof. Martin Robert. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who (online Oxford University Press ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. doi:10.1093/ww/9780199540884.013.250830. (subscription required)
- Martin Bridson at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Martin Bridson publications indexed by Google Scholar
- Martin Bridson publications indexed by the Scopus bibliographic database. (subscription required)
- "WEDDINGS;Julie A. Lynch, Martin R. Bridson".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-07-23. Retrieved 2012-07-09.
- Bridson, Martin. "Martin R. Bridson". people.maths.ox.ac.uk.
- "Martin bridson biography". Royal Society. Retrieved 1 May 2016.
- "American Mathematical Society". www.ams.org.
|This Manx biography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|