|Location||4401 Beresford Street, Burnaby|
|Owned by||BC Transit, TransLink|
|Opened||December 11, 1985|
Metrotown is an elevated SkyTrain station on the Expo Line in the Metrotown area of Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada. It is the second-busiest station in the SkyTrain system. The station is located on the south side of Central Boulevard, east of Willingdon Avenue.
Metrotown station was built and opened in December 1985 as part of the original Expo Line of SkyTrain. The overhead walkway leading to Metropolis at Metrotown was added to the station in 1989 with the opening of the shopping centres. Originally, the bus loop was open-air and connected to the station via an at-grade street crossing.
The station was originally designed as a suburban station serving residential neighbourhoods and local transit connections. It experienced a major traffic increase since the opening of nearby shopping centres, and the current passenger load and circulation already surpassed the design capacity of the station. TransLink has established formal plans to retrofit and redesign the station to improve passenger flow and increase station capacity. Construction started in May 2015. On November 15, 2016, TransLink closed the pedestrian overpass that connected the station with the Metropolis shopping mall as renovations to the station progressed, with no timeline provided for the opening of a replacement overpass. The closure has led to criticism and extra travel time for many passengers.
- Metrotown is a major connection point for the TransLink bus routes in southern Vancouver and Burnaby.
- The station is right across Central Boulevard from a bus loop and Metropolis at Metrotown and Station Square malls.
A Metropolis at Metrotown entrance
- The Crystal Mall and many other retail developments are nearby on Kingsway, one block north of the station.
- The Burnaby Public Library Bob Pritte Metrotown Branch is also two blocks away from the station in Burnaby Civic Square.
- Burnaby Civic Square, Kinnee, Maywood Park & Bonsor Park are located two blocks away from the station.
- Bonsor Recreation Complex is a community centre located in Bonsor Park.
- An ATM is available on the concourse level of the station.
- The three Metrotowers office buildings are often accessed through the station
- There is an A&W, Starbucks Coffee, and Chipotle Mexican Grill on the opposite end of the pedestrian overpass, near the mall entrance.
|T||Platform 1||← ■ Expo Line towards Waterfront (Patterson)|
|Island platform, Doors will open on the left|
|Platform 2||■ Expo Line towards King George and Production Way–University (Royal Oak) →|
|C||Concourse (East)||Connection to Metropolis, Station Square (closed), and bus loop
Ticket vending machines, ATM
|S||Street (East)||East entrance|
|Street (West)||West entrance elevator
Ticket vending machine
- East Entrance is located on the BC Parkway, north of Beresford Street and south of Central Boulevard. It can be found at the far east end of the platform. There is no elevator for this entrance, and no escalator is available between street and concourse level. The entrance is in close proximity to Bay 9 of the Metrotown transit exchange for connections to south Burnaby community shuttle services.
- East Entrance Mall Access connects bus loop, Metropolis at Metrotown, and Station Square shopping centres with the concourse level through a narrow pedestrian overpass. The overpass also contains a stair access to the north side of Central Boulevard. Although up and down escalators are provided by bus loop and shopping centres, the overpass is at a slightly higher level than the concourse of the station, which results in 3 steps of stairs the station entrance.
- West Entrance is an elevator-only access at the south side of Central Boulevard. The elevator connects street level directly with platform bypassing the concourse level. Ticket vending machines and validators can be found at street level. This entrance provides connection to HandyDart service.
Metrotown provides a partial off-street transit exchange on Beresford Street, and in front of the ground-level entrance to Metropolis shopping centre. Bus bay assignments are as follows:
|2||19 Stanley Park|
|3||49 UBC||Articulated bus service|
|4||130 Phibbs Exchange||130 Capilano U service from this bay during peak hours only from September to June|
|8||430 Richmond–Brighouse Station|
||Bay 9 is located westbound on Beresford Street, at Telford Avenue|
- "Metrotown Station elevator is open for business on March 24, 2017!". TransLink. March 22, 2017. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- "2011 SkyTrain Station Counts". TransLink. Retrieved August 10, 2016.
- "SkyTrain historic photos: Princess Diana visits SkyTrain and more". Buzzer Blog. Retrieved November 20, 2011.
- ""Moving Forward" 2012 Supplemental Plan and Outlook". TransLink. Retrieved November 20, 2011.
- Hewitt, Jessica (November 9, 2016). "Attention Metrotown SkyTrain riders!". The Buzzer Blog. TransLink. Retrieved December 26, 2016.
- Saltman, Jennifer (November 17, 2016). "Metrotown transit upgrade: Four things you need to know". Vancouver Sun. Retrieved December 26, 2016.
- "Metrotown SkyTrain construction leaves commuters puffing up the stairs". CBC News. November 16, 2016. Retrieved December 26, 2016.
- Metropolis at Metrotown: public transit
- Map of Metrotown Station