Military patrol at the 1924 Winter Olympics
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
At the 1924 Winter Olympics, in Chamonix, France, in 1924, a military patrol competition was held. The Olympic results database lists the official medal winners for the event, as does the Official Report (1924), yet several sources have incorrectly counted this competition as a demonstration event only. The event was also demonstrated in 1928, 1936, and 1948, but those results are still considered unofficial. A full 36 years would pass before the modern version of the sport, biathlon, became an official Winter Olympic sport.[nb 1]
The competition was held on Tuesday, January 29, 1924. Six teams started the event, but only four finished with Italy and Poland withdrawing due to bad conditions.
|Place||Biathletes||Adjusted Time [nb 2]||Shots On Target|
|1||Denis Vaucher (Captain), Alfred Aufdenblatten, Antoine Julen, Alphonse Julen (SUI)||3:56:06||8|
|2||Väinö Bremer (Captain), August Eskelinen, Heikki Hirvonen, Ville Mattila (FIN)||4:00:10||11|
|3||Camille Mandrillon (Captain), Georges Berthet, Maurice Mandrillon, Adrien "André" Vandelle (FRA)||4:18:53||2|
|4||Karel Buchta (Captain), Josef Bím, Bohuslav Josífek, Jan Mittlöhner (TCH)||4:19:54||5|
|—||Piero Dente (Captain), Goffredo Lagger, Albino Bich, Paolo Francia (ITA)||DNF|
|Zbigniew Wóycicki (Captain), Szczepan Witkowski, Stanisław Chrobak, Stanisław Kądziołka (POL)||DNF|
A total of 24 biathletes from six nations competed at the Chamonix Games:
- The official website of the Olympic Movement now treats Men's Military Patrol at the 1924 games as an event within the sport of Biathlon. However the 1924 Official Report treats it as an event and discipline within what was then called Skiing and is now called Nordic Skiing.
- The adjusted time was the actual time less 30 seconds for every shot on target. 
- Official Report (1924), p 646: Le Programme ... II. — Epreuves par équipes - 12. Ski : Course militaire (20 à 30 kilomètres, avec tir). (The Programme ... II. — Team events - 12. Skiing : Military Race (20 to 30 kilometres, with shooting)).
- Official Report (1924), p 664: CONCOURS DE SKI - Jurys - COURSE MILITAIRE. (Skiing Competitions - Juries - Military Race)
- Official Report (1924), pp 701-703: EPREUVE No 139 SKI MILITAIRE (Event Number 139 Military Ski). This gives both the rules and the results of the competition. (Note: It is event Number 139 of the combined Winter and Summer Games, but event Number 12 on the programme of the Winter Games).
- Official Report (1924), pp 618-628: Les démonstrations hors~programme (Demonstrations outside the official programme). This gives a complete account of the demonstration sports. Military Patrol is not among them.
- "Biathlon Results - Chamonix 1924". International Olympic Committee. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- "Olympic Games Medals, Chamonix 1924". International Olympic Committee. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- Official Report (1924) of both Summer and Winter games: (ed.) M. Avé, Comité Olympique Français. Les Jeux de la VIIIe Olympiade Paris 1924 – Rapport Officiel (PDF) (in French). Paris: Librairie de France. Archived (PDF) from the original on 5 May 2011. Retrieved 7 May 2011.