Millington (NJT station)
The station at Millington, seen from across the tracks.
|Location||Oaks Road, Long Hill Township, New Jersey 07946|
|Platforms||1 low-level side platform|
|Parking||114 spaces on Old Mill Road|
|Passengers (2012)||156 (average weekday)|
Millington Station, 1907
|Location||Oaks Road, Long Hill Township, New Jersey|
|NRHP Reference #|||
|Added to NRHP||June 22, 1984|
|Designated NJRHP||March 17, 1984|
Millington is a New Jersey Transit station in the Millington section of Long Hill Township in Morris County, New Jersey, United States, located at the intersection of Oaks Road and Division Avenue. It is served by the Gladstone Branch of the Morris and Essex Lines, and is one of three stops in Long Hill Township.
The station building of stone-masonry construction was built in 1901 by the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad and houses the Millington Station Cafe. In 1984, it was listed in the New Jersey Register of Historic Places and National Register of Historic Places as part of the Operating Passenger Railroad Stations Thematic Resource.
Station facilities and layout
The station has one low-level asphalt side platform.The station is not accessible under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, in which the closest station is in Lyons, which has a high-level platform. No buses serve the station, which does not have a station shelter except for the canopy. One hundred fourteen (114) permit-only parking spaces are available, non of which are ADA-compliant. A single Ticket Vending Machine (TVM) serves the location. The station boasts 114 spaces for parking automobiles in a lot owned by Long Hill Township. None of the 114 spaces are The spaces are permit only on weekdays and evenings. On weekends, the station spaces are free for use. The parking lot next to the station depot is not used for commuters, so they must use the large lot. Permit costs are $200/year. The station also has bicycle racks.
|■ Gladstone Branch||toward Gladstone (Lyons)|
|■ Gladstone Branch||toward New York or Hoboken (Stirling)|
The station is use by all but one Gladstone Branch train, No.467, which terminates at Murray Hill. The first weekday train heading to New York Pennsylvania Station or Hoboken Terminal arrives at Millington at 5:05 am heading to Hoboken. The last train heading inbound to New York/Hoboken leaves at 12:12 am the next morning and heads for Hoboken Terminal. Heading westbound from Hoboken/New York, the first Gladstone Branch train arrives at 8:26 am, heading for Bernardsville. The last westbound train arrives at the station at 1:50 the next morning heading to Gladstone. On weekends, a transfer is necessary to a Morristown Line train at Summit, which accesses to New York and Hoboken. Heading inbound the first train arrives at Millington at 6:23 am and the final arrives at 12:48 the next morning. On holidays, the first train arrives at 5:54 am. Heading outbound, the first train arrives at 7:28 am and the last arrives at 2:39 am.
The cost to get to the station (located in Zone 14 with Stirling and Lyons) from New York is $13.00 one way and $10.25 from Hoboken. Monthly commutation tickets from New York cost $361.00 while from Hoboken the price is reduced to $291.
- List of New Jersey Transit stations
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Morris County, New Jersey
- "Morris and Essex Timetables" (PDF). Newark, New Jersey: New Jersey Transit Rail Operations. November 7, 2010. Retrieved November 27, 2010.
- "QUARTERLY RIDERSHIP TRENDS ANALYSIS". New Jersey Transit. Archived from the original (PDF) on December 27, 2012. Retrieved January 4, 2013.
- Staff (2008-04-15). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places". New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection - Historic Preservation Office. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- Millington New Jersey Transit Railroad Station Survey
- Monmouth County Listings at the National Register of Historic Places
- Thomas, Gwendolyn (1984). "Long Hill Township 1984 Historic Guide". Long Hill Township, New Jersey: Long Hill Township Historical Society. Retrieved 14 January 2011.
- "National Register of Historic Places Listings in Morris County". Washington D.C.: National Park Service. 2011. Retrieved 14 January 2011.
- "Station and Parking Info - Millington". Newark, New Jersey: New Jersey Transit. 2011. Retrieved 14 January 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Millington (NJT station).|