Miss Spider's Sunny Patch Friends
||This article consists almost entirely of a plot summary. It should be expanded to provide more balanced coverage that includes real-world context. (December 2011)|
|Miss Spider's Sunny Patch Friends|
|Created by||David Kirk|
|Developed by||Nadine van der Velde|
|Opening theme||"Be Good to Bugs"|
|Ending theme||"Be Good to Bugs" (instrumental)|
|Country of origin||Canada|
|Original language(s)||English, Spanish, Portuguese|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||65 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Michael Hirsh
|Producer(s)||Callaway Arts & Entertainment
|Running time||24 minutes (12 minutes per episode)|
|Original channel||Teletoon, Treehouse (Canada)
Nickelodeon, Noggin (U.S.)
|Original release||September 7, 2004– June 19, 2007|
Miss Spider's Sunny Patch Friends is a Canadian children's television series based on the children's books by David Kirk. The series airs on Nick Jr. in the United States, Treehouse TV in Canada, and on Discovery Kids in Brazil. It is also shown in syndication in other countries, depending on the area. Each episode follows the everyday adventures of a family of bugs who have made their home in the "Hollow Tree", led by the gentle, kind-hearted Miss Spider.
The show continued to air on Nick Jr. after its cancellation until September 12, 2014, when the show was pulled from the channel's daily lineup.
The series is set in "Sunny Patch" (a miniature town made of common forest items), populated by anthropomorphic bugs, and primarily centers around the Spider family.
The episodes follow the children's adventures playing in Sunny Patch and learning life lessons, such as being kind to others, being imaginative, having responsibility, and being curious about the world around them.
- Kristin Davis - Miss Spider
- Scott Beaudin - Squirt
- Rebecca Brenner - Shimmer
- Mitchell Eisner - Dragon
- Julie Lemieux - Bounce
- Robert Norman Smith - Holley
- Austin Di Iulio (Cameron Ansell in season 2) - Spinner
- Alexandra Lai - Snowdrop
- Aaryn Doyle - Pansy
- Marc McMulkin - Wiggle
- Jonathon Wilson - Ned
- Philip Williams - Ted
- Scott McCord - Stinky
- Miss Spider — Like three of her children, Miss Spider is an adoptee, adopted by Betty Beetle when she could not find her biological mother. Miss Spider tries to be a kind and caring mom and give equal time to all of her many children. She strongly believes that "We have to be good to bugs; all bugs." Voiced by Kristin Davis.
- Squirt - A curious and adventurous green spider, Squirt is considered to be the leader of the children and as such, more stories center around his character than any other. He enjoys surfing the air on his webs, dreams of flying like Shimmer or Dragon, and is often ready to take the lead in an adventure. Because of his impulsive and curious personality, he often needs the advice of his parents to help him with situations. Voiced by Scott Beaudin.
- Shimmer — A pink jewel beetle with an interest in sports and games, Shimmer is different from the rest of the family as she has abilities the others do not (such as heat sensors). She is one of Miss Spider and Holley's adoptive children. Voiced by Rebecca Brenner.
- Dragon — A purple dragonfly and one of Miss Spider and Holley's adoptive children. He is the eldest of the Spider children and often assumes the role of an antagonist, especially towards Squirt. In several episodes, Dragon serves as an example of peer pressure. For example, in "Cry Buggie," Dragon pokes fun at Squirt when he explains his feelings. Voiced by Mitchell Eisner.
- Bounce — A blue bedbug and one of Miss Spider and Holley's adoptive children. He is a two-legged, high-energy bug and the only bug character in the series to have teeth. He and Dragon have been "best bug buddies" ever since they met because of their similar experiences regarding their original families. Voiced by Julie Lemieux.
- Holley — voiced by Robert Smith. He is Miss Spider's husband. Holley is a songwriter and loves to play his guitar. He has a special thinking stone where he makes decisions.
- Spinner — voiced by Austin Di Iulio (and Cameron Ansell in season 2). A yellow spider sporting very large eyeglasses, he looks almost exactly like his father, Holley. He is a smart and wise bug often looked to for advice. While he is not great at physical activities, he has a wonderful talent for the "bugpipes".
- Snowdrop — voiced by Alexandra Lai. A yellow spider and Pansy's twin. Her distinguishing feature is a green bow on her head. She has a beautiful singing voice.
- Pansy — voiced by Aaryn Doyle. A yellow spider and Snowdrop's twin. Her distinguishing feature is a pink bow on her head. She sings well, but not as naturally as Snowdrop.
- Wiggle — voiced by Marc McMulkin. A blue spider who tends to be the worrier of the group, and is quite emotional.
- Ned and Ted - A pair of red ant brothers. Ned speaks with a Cockney accent and has a tuft of hair between his antenna and Ted speaks with a New York accent. The both of them are scheming and deceptive, and have only two interests: food and getting more of it.
- Stinky - A green stinkbug voiced by Scott McCord. He takes up detective work in his free time.
- Felix — A frog who was introduced in the three part special "A Froggy Day in Sunny Patch." Felix longed to be a bug himself and refuses to eat bugs, as he does not find them tasty. Instead, he eats only berries.
|Season||Episodes||Originally aired (U.S. dates)|
|Season premiere||Season finale|
|1||19||September 7, 2004||July 21, 2005|
|2||25||March 13, 2006||June 19, 2007|