Montgomery Township, Ashland County, Ohio
|Montgomery Township, Ashland County, Ohio|
Interstate 71 in the township
Location of Montgomery Township (red) adjacent to the city of Ashland (yellow) in Ashland County
|• Total||27.7 sq mi (71.7 km2)|
|• Land||27.5 sq mi (71.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.4 km2)|
|Elevation||958 ft (292 m)|
|• Density||98/sq mi (37.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085711|
Located in the center of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Orange Township - north
- Jackson Township - northeast
- Perry Township - east
- Mohican Township - southeast corner
- Vermillion Township - south
- Mifflin Township - southwest corner
- Milton Township - west
- Clear Creek Township - northwest corner
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Montgomery township, Ashland County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- Baughman, Abraham J. (1909). History of Ashland County, Ohio, Volume 1. S. J. Clarke Publishing Company. p. 125.
- Hill, George William (1863). History of Ashland County, Ohio. Williams Bros. p. 167.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.