Mountain Station station
Mountain Station facing eastbound from the New York-bound platform in December 2014.
|Owned by||New Jersey Transit|
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Connections|| NJT Bus: 92
(one block east on Scotland Rd.)
|Passengers (2012)||321 (average weekday)|
The eastbound station depot at Mountain station, seen in December 2014 from Vose Street.
|Location||449 Vose Avenue, South Orange, New Jersey|
|Area||2.5 acres (1.0 ha)|
|MPS||Operating Passenger Railroad Stations TR|
|NRHP Reference #||84002656|
|Added to NRHP||September 29, 1984|
Mountain Station is a New Jersey Transit station in South Orange, Essex County, New Jersey, United States, along the Morris and Essex (formerly Erie Lackawanna Morristown Line). The station, built in 1915, has been listed in the New Jersey Register of Historic Places and National Register of Historic Places since 1984 and is part of the Operating Passenger Railroad Stations Thematic Resource.
The station is somewhat unusual in that when the Lackawanna Railroad rebuilt the Morristown Line during the 1910s and 1920s, to eliminate grade crossings between Newark and Millburn, Mountain Station was the only location at which the elevation of the railroad's roadbed was not changed. As a result, the grade crossing of Montrose Avenue at the eastbound end of the station was eliminated and the roadway was raised onto a bridge. At the westbound end of the station, the Mountain House Road crossing was eliminated entirely and a pedestrian walkway was built. The walkway was removed during the late 1970s as part of the re-electrification project for the line.
At present, as in the past, most trains that stop here proceed onto, or have originated in, Hoboken. Most Midtown Direct trains into New York City bypass Mountain Station, but a large number do stop at the main station in South Orange, which is less than a mile to the south (timetable west). Midtown Direct trains can be accessed from Mountain Station by transferring at an intermediate station.
- List of New Jersey Transit stations
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Essex County, New Jersey
- "Morris and Essex Timetables" (PDF). Newark, New Jersey: New Jersey Transit Rail Operations. November 7, 2010. Retrieved November 27, 2010.
- Taber & Taber 1981, p. 753
- Taber & Taber 1980, p. 86
- "QUARTERLY RIDERSHIP TRENDS ANALYSIS". New Jersey Transit. Archived from the original (PDF) on December 27, 2012. Retrieved January 4, 2013.
- National Park Service (2009-03-13). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places". New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection - Historic Preservation Office. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- Mountain Station New Jersey Transit Railroad Station Survey
- Essex County Listings on the National Register of Historic Places (Building - #84002656)
- Taber, Thomas Townsend; Taber, Thomas Townsend III (1980). The Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad in the Twentieth Century. 1. Muncy, PA: Privately printed. ISBN 0-9603398-2-5.
- Taber, Thomas Townsend; Taber, Thomas Townsend III (1981). The Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad in the Twentieth Century. 2. Muncy, PA: Privately printed. ISBN 0-9603398-3-3.
- Media related to Mountain Station (NJT station) at Wikimedia Commons