Uwanja wa Ndege wa Mtwara (Swahili)
|Owner||Government of Tanzania|
|Operator||Tanzania Airports Authority|
|Focus city for||Mtwara|
|Elevation AMSL||371 ft / 113 m|
The airport is located in Mtwara Region, about 8 kilometres (5.0 mi), by road, south of the town of Mtwara. This is about 568 kilometres (353 mi), by road and 400 kilometres (249 mi), by air, south of Julius Nyerere International Airport, the largest airport in Tanzania. The coordinates of Mtwara Airport are 10°20'10.0"S, 40°10'55.0"E (Latitude:-10.336111; Longitude:40.181944).
The Mtwara non-directional beacon (Ident: MT) is located on the field. The airport lies at an average elevation of 371 feet (113 m) above sea level. The airport has two runways, the longest of which is asphalt surfaced and measures 7,410 feet (2,259 m) long and 98 feet (30 m) wide.
Airlines and destinations
|Precision Air||Dar es Salaam|
Accidents and incidents
- 27 August 1975: Douglas C-47B 5Y-AAF of East African Airways was damaged beyond economic repair in a landing accident. The aircraft was on a scheduled passenger flight. All 19 people on board survived.
- TAA (2015). "Tanzania airport traffic statistics until 2015". Dar es Salaam: Tanzania Airports Authority (TAA). Retrieved 11 August 2016.
- Centre for Aviation (20 September 2016). "Mtwara Airport, Tanzania: Profile". Centreforaviation.com (Centre for Aviation). Retrieved 20 September 2016.
- Globefeed.com (20 September 2016). "Distance between Mtwara Post Office, Mtwara, Mtwara Region, Tanzania and Mtwara Airport, Mtwara, Mtwara Region, Tanzania". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 20 September 2016.
- Globefeed.com (20 September 2016). "Distance between Julius Nyerere International Airport, Julius K. Nyerere Road, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania and Mtwara Airport, Mtwara, Mtwara Region, Tanzania". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 20 September 2016.
- Google (20 September 2016). "Location of Mtwara Airport, Mtwara Region, Tanzania" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 20 September 2016.
- Mtwara NDB
- SkyVector Aeronautical Charts
- Great Circle Mapper (20 September 2016). "Detailed Information About Mtwara Airport". Gcmap.com (Great Circle Mapper). Retrieved 20 September 2016.
- "5Y-AAF Accident description". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 21 August 2010.