National AIDS Commission of Indonesia
|Komisi Penanggulangan AIDS Nasional|
|Parent department||General Directorate of Disease Prevention and Control, Ministry of Health|
The National AIDS Commission of Indonesia (Indonesian: Komisi Penanggulangan AIDS or Komisi Penanggulangan AIDS Nasional, KPAN) was an independent Indonesian non-structural government agency which was responsible for the prevention and management of AIDS issues in Indonesia. Specialized KPAN organizational structure was effectively dissolved in 2017 while its former secretariat is from then headed by the General Director of Disease Prevention and Control of the Ministry of Health.
The first case of HIV/AIDS in Indonesia was found in Bali in 1987. In the same year, the United Nations General Assembly agreed on the urgency of a global strategy to combat AIDS. The Indonesian government then created a special committee for the management of AIDS and conducted an assessment of HIV positive population through several decrees in 1988 and 1989. KPAN was first formed by Presidential Order 36/1994 as the AIDS Management Commission (Komisi Penanggulangan AIDS, KPA). In 2006, KPA was reformed into the National AIDS Commission of Indonesia by Presidential Order 75/2006 with the formation of its regional commissions.
The government mandated KPAN, among others, to create and coordinate policies and activities related to the prevention, control, and management of AIDS in Indonesia, to inform and educate the public about AIDS and to conduct coordination with local and foreign agencies in the prevention and management of AIDS. KPAN was allowed to hire working groups and panel of experts to help its work. KPAN also partnered with local and international non-governmental organizations (NGO). It also supported academic research on HIV/AIDS and published periodical reports.
Specialized organization of KPAN and its local chapters was dissolved by Presidential Order 124/2016 which also required KPAN to finisih its mandate at the end of 2017. This decision was criticized by several who viewed that it was made without hearing the opinion of the employees and partners of KPAN and that it was worried that the management of HIV/AIDS in Indonesia would become worse without a designated governmental agency such as KPAN. The dissolution also means that NGOs which had partnership relations with KPAN now have to seek for partnership directly with central or local government which may complicate their tasks in managing HIV/AIDS in Indonesia, particularly for MSM population.
- "Laporan Bulan November 2016" (PDF). Komisi Penanggulangan AIDS. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2017-07-21.
- "Lembaga Non Struktural" (in Indonesian). Kementerian Pendayagunaan Aparatur Negara dan Reformasi Birokrasi. Retrieved 2019-07-30.
- "Sejarah" (in Indonesian). Komisi Penanggulangan AIDS. Archived from the original on 2018-09-07.
- Mahendra, Gerry Katon (2018-08-29). "Kritik Penghentian Tugas Komisi Penanggulangan AIDS". GEOTIMES (in Indonesian). Retrieved 2019-07-30.
- "Peraturan Presiden Nomor 124 Tahun 2016" (PDF) (in Indonesian). Retrieved 2019-07-30.
- "Keputusan Menteri Kesehatan Republik Indonesia Nomor 567/MENKES/SK/VIII/2006" (PDF) (in Indonesian). Retrieved 2019-07-30.
- "Prevention and control of acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS)". undocs.org. 1987-10-26. Retrieved 2019-07-30.
- Sakti, Rangga Eka (2019-07-23). "Jejak Penanganan AIDS di Indonesia". Kompas (in Indonesian). Archived from the original on 2019-07-30. Retrieved 2019-07-30.
- "Keputusan Presiden Nomor 36 Tahun 1994" (PDF) (in Indonesian). Retrieved 2019-07-30.
- "Peraturan Presiden Nomor 75 Tahun 2006" (PDF) (in Indonesian). Retrieved 2019-07-30.
- "Pertemuan Koordinasi dan Penyusunan Panduan Program Lolipop" (in Indonesian). Komisi Penanggulangan AIDS. Archived from the original on 2016-12-24.
- "Penelitian Operasional" (in Indonesian). Komisi Penanggulangan AIDS. Archived from the original on 2018-08-29.
- "Laporan Bulanan" (in Indonesian). Komisi Penanggulangan AIDS. Archived from the original on 2018-09-07.
- The Lancet Hiv (2018). "Editorial: Dark clouds over Indonesia" (PDF). The Lancet HIV. 5 (8): e405. doi:10.1016/S2352-3018(18)30181-4. PMID 30102154.