Navagraha means "nine celestial bodies" in Sanskrit and are nine astronomical bodies as well as mythical deities in Hinduism and Hindu astrology. These are the Sun, the Moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, and Saturn, and the ascending (Rahu) and descending (Ketu) lunar nodes (which appears as Shadow Planets during Surya Grahan and Chandra Grahan).
Planets, celestial bodies and lunar nodes
The Navagraha are:
- Surya (a.k.a. Ravi), the Sun
- Chandra (a.k.a. Soma), the Moon
- Mangala,(Mangal) Mars
- Budha (Budh), Mercury
- Guru,(Brihaspati) Jupiter
- Shukra, Venus
- Shani, Saturn
- Rahu, Lunar ascending node
- Ketu, Lunar descending node.
- Surya Navagrahastalam -- Suryanar Kovil
- Chandra Navagrahastalam -- Kailasanthar Temple, Thingalur
- Angaarakan Navagrahastalam -- Vaitheeswaran Koil
& Mangalnath in Madhya Pradesh.
- Budha Navagrahastalam -- Swetharanyeswarar Temple, Thiruvenkadu
- Guru Navagrahastalam -- Apatsahayesvarar Temple, Alangudi
- Sukra Navagrahastalam -- Agniswarar Temple, Kanjanur
- Shani Navagrahastalam -- Tirunallar Saniswaran Temple
- Raahu Navagrahastalam -- Naganathaswami Temple, Thirunageswaram
- Ketu Navagrahastalam -- Nagannathaswamy Temple, Keezhaperumpallam