Newnham College Boat Club
|Newnham College Boat Club|
|Location||Cambridge, United Kingdom|
|Home water||River Cam|
|Newnham Short Course Regatta|
Newnham College Boat Club is the rowing club for members of Newnham College, Cambridge. The club has a year-round senior squad and invites all members of the college to learn to row by joining the novice squads during Michaelmas or Easter terms.
The club was founded in 1893 and pioneered women's rowing at Cambridge University. The first bumps races for women were held in 1974 and since then have continued to be major events in the club's calendar. In the Lent Bumps, the 1st VIII has rarely finished outside the top-9 places, and has spent most of its time in the top-5, taking the headship in 1977, 1982 and 1983. In the May Bumps, the 1st IV and 1st VIII has never finished outside the top-10 places, taking the headship in 1975, 1976 and in 2003.
Newnham College Boat Club represented Cambridge in the Women's Boat Race from the inaugural race in 1927 until Cambridge University Women's Boat Club was founded in 1941 when Girton College became the second women's college to cater for rowing. All of the Cambridge rowers in 1941 were members of Newnham. The following year, the first non-Newnham rower competed. The Cambridge victories in the early years were credited to Newnham College.
In 1976 in the May Bumps, Newnham I were head on the 2nd day, and Newnham II were in 2nd position. No other women's club has managed to get a 2nd boat into 2nd place. The only men's club to have managed it was 1st Trinity, whose 2nd boat bumped its 1st boat in the 1875 races to finish in 2nd place behind Jesus. Newnham is, therefore, the only club (men or women) in the history of Cambridge bumps racing to have held the top two places simultaneously.
In 2006 Newnham won the newly inaugurated Pegasus Cup for being "the most successful college boat club competing in the Cambridge May Bumping Races".
The May races in 2007 saw Newnham go up three places.
In 2009/10 Newnham won the Michell Cup, annually awarded by the CUCBC to the Boat Club giving the best performance on the river during the course of the academic year. Newnham retained the trophy in 2010/11 and the upwards trajectory in the Bumps tables was continued in 2011/12 when the first VIII finished at 3rd on the river.
- "Race History". Cambridge University Women’s Boat Club. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- "A brief history of the Oxford-Cambridge Varsity event – from the perspective of women". The Telegraph. 13 March 2015. Retrieved 11 April 2015.
- "Origins - The Women's Boat Race: The Early years". The Boat Race Company Limited. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "Crew Lists 1940s". Cambridge University Women's Boat Club 1941 - 2014. 7 February 2015. Retrieved 6 June 2015.
- "Results". Henley Boat Races. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- Durack, John; Gilbert, George; Marks, Dr. John (2000). The Bumps: An Account of the Cambridge University Bumping Races 1827-1999 ISBN 0-9538475-1-9
- CUCBC (various years) - Lent and May Bumps programmes.