Nishtar Medical College
|Motto||Service & Discipline|
|Established||28 April 1951|
112 acres (45 ha)
|Affiliations||University of Health Sciences, Lahore|
Nishtar Medical College (Urdu: نشتر طبی کالج) is a public sector medical school located in Multan, Punjab, Pakistan. It is named after Sardar Abdur Rab Nishtar, Pakistan movement activist, and then Governor of Punjab, Pakistan. It is one of the oldest medical schools in the country. The majority of the degrees it awards are in the fields of medicine and dentistry.
The college has the following programs:
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS): a 5-year program.
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS): a 4-year program.
- Medical Residency Programs: General Medicine, General Surgery, Pediatrics, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Psychiatry, Community Medicine, Pathology, Ophthalmology, Otolaryngology, Anesthesia & Diagnostic Radiology
- Fellowship programs: Nephrology, Pulmonology, Dermatology, Radiotherapy, Plastic Surgery, Urology, Neurosurgery, Thoracic Surgery, Pediatric Surgery & Orthopedic Surgery
- The college was initially affiliated with University of the Punjab Lahore, the only university in Punjab at that time.
- In 1975 it became affiliated with Bahauddin Zakariya University, a newly formed university for Southern Punjab.
- In January 2003 it became affiliated with the University of Health Sciences, Lahore.
The college is located at a distance of 3 km from the city centre. The campus is spread over 20 acres (8.1 ha) of land. Nishtar Hospital, one of the largest hospitals in Pakistan, is located adjacent to the college. The total area of the campus, hospital and hostel area is more than 112 acres (0.45 km2).
The city of Multan is one of the hottest localities of Pakistan; this is reflected in architecture of the college and hospital – high ceilings and large windows are commonplace.
The college itself is spacious, with the various academic departments housed around a central quadrangle. The quadrangle is a large garden used for student functions and gatherings. There is an attached hospital, adjacent hostels, and faculty residential colony. The college as well as the hostels are nostalgic of old Islamic architecture. The buildings added to the campus in the 1960s to early 1980s were designed by A. R. Hye.
A student is eligible to apply for MBBS after Higher Secondary School Certificate (HSSC)/A Level/Equivalent examination. Candidates are selected by a rigorous admission process that includes a competitive centralized Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) conducted by University of Health Sciences Lahore annually. Merit is determined by the marks obtained on the MCAT, Higher Secondary School Certificate (HSSC)/A Level/Equivalent examination and Secondary School Certificate (SSC)/O Level/Equivalent examination.
Students come from the province of Punjab and other parts of Pakistan, as well as from several other countries, including the US, Canada, UK, Bahrain, Jordan, Palestine, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, African and other Middle Eastern countries. Most choose to live in the hostels on the campus. Facilities on campus include a swimming pool, a basketball court, squash courts, football, hockey, cricket grounds, lawn tennis courts, table tennis, a badminton court and a jogging track. There are many student societies, clubs, and associations to meet the recreational and vocational needs of students.
It is listed in the FAIMER International Medical Education Directory of International Medical Schools. Nishtar's graduates are eligible to appear in different countries medical licensing exams, notable among them are United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) and Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board test (PLAB) of UK.
- Basic Health Sciences departments
- Behavioral Medicine
- Forensic Medicine
- Community Medicine
- Medical Education
- Clinical Health Sciences departments
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
In addition, allied specialty exposure is ensured in the areas of Orthopedics, Urology, Anesthesia, Pediatric Surgery, Thoracic Surgery, Plastic Surgery, Psychiatry, Neurosurgery, Dermatology, Family Medicine, Radiology and Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
Nishtar Medical College graduates have a strong alumni presence in United States. Nishtar Alumni Association of North America (NANA) continues to fund one major project every year. Some of the continuing and past projects include 25 scholarships per year, extension project of the paediatrics ward, conference room in the ER, GI/Endoscopy suite and Simulation Lab for the students.
Dr. Jamal Bhutta was the founding Principal and Medical Superintendent of the Institute.
- "University of Health Sciences Lahore". Uhs.edu.pk. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- ":: University of Health Sciences Lahore ::". Uhs.edu.pk. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- "College of Physicians and Surgeons Pakistan". Cpsp.edu.pk. Retrieved 4 October 2013.
- "University of health sciences lahore". uhs.edu.pk. Retrieved 24 February 2012.
- "History – Nishtar Alumni Association of North America". nishtar.org. Retrieved 24 February 2012.
- "Admission of Foreign Students in MBBS, BDS, BS Eng, D-Pharmacy under self finance scheme". Hec.gov.pk. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- "Pakistan Medical & Dental Council > About Us > Recognized Medical/Dental Colleges". Pmdc.org.pk. Archived from the original on 19 August 2010. Retrieved 4 October 2013.
- "College of Physicians & Surgeons Pakistan". Cpsp.edu.pk. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- "IMED – FAIMER International Medical Education Directory – School Details". Imed.faimer.org. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- "Nishtar hospital – Nishtar Alumni Association of North America". nishtar.org. Retrieved 24 February 2012.
- "Nishtar medical college – Nishtar Alumni Association of North America". nishtar.org. Retrieved 24 February 2012.
- "Nishtar Alumni Association of North America – Home". Nishtar.org. Retrieved 28 November 2011.