Nishtar Medical University
نشتر میڈیکل یونیورسٹی
|Motto||Service & Discipline|
|Established||29 April 1951|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Dr. Mustafa Kamal Pasha|
112 acres (45 ha)
Nishtar Medical University (formerly Nishtar Medical College) is a public sector health sciences university located in Multan, Punjab, Pakistan. It is one of the oldest and most prestigious medical institutions established after the creation of Pakistan.It offers medicine and surgery bachelors programmes and bachelor of Engineering.It is named after Sardar Abdur Rub Nishtar, Pakistan movement activist, and then Governor of Punjab, Pakistan.
The university has the following programs:
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS): a 5-year program.
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS): a 4-year program.
- Medical Residency & Fellowship Programs: General Medicine, General Surgery, Pediatrics, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Psychiatry, Community Medicine, Pathology, Ophthalmology, Otolaryngology, Anesthesia, Diagnostic Radiology, Nephrology, Pulmonology, Dermatology, Radiotherapy, Plastic Surgery, Urology, Neurosurgery, Thoracic Surgery, Pediatric Surgery & Orthopedic Surgery
- The college was initially affiliated with University of the Punjab Lahore, the only university in Punjab at that time.
- In 1975 it became affiliated with Bahauddin Zakariya University, a newly formed university for South Punjab.
- In January 2003 it became affiliated with the University of Health Sciences, Lahore.
- In September 2017, college was upgraded to university status after the passage of Nishtar Medical University Act by Provincial Assembly of Punjab.
The university is located at a distance of 3 km from the city centre. The campus is spread over 20 acres (8.1 ha) of land. Nishtar Hospital, one of the largest hospitals in Pakistan, is located adjacent to the college. The total area of the campus, hospital and hostel area is more than 112 acres (0.45 km2).
The city of Multan is one of the hottest localities of Pakistan; this is reflected in architecture of the college and hospital – high ceilings and large windows are commonplace.
The college itself is spacious, with the various academic departments housed around a central quadrangle. The quadrangle is a large garden used for student functions and gatherings. There is an attached hospital, adjacent hostels, and faculty residential colony. The college as well as the hostels are nostalgic of old Islamic architecture. The buildings added to the campus in the 1960s to early 1980s were designed by A. R. Hye.
A student is eligible to apply for MBBS after Higher Secondary School Certificate (HSSC)/A Level/Equivalent examination. Candidates are selected by a rigorous admission process that includes a competitive centralized Medical College Admission Test (MDCAT) conducted by University of Health Sciences Lahore annually. Merit is determined by the marks obtained on the MDCAT, Higher Secondary School Certificate (HSSC)/A Level/Equivalent examination.
Students come from province of Punjab and other parts of Pakistan, as well as from several other countries, including Bahrain, Jordan, Palestine, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and other African and Middle Eastern countries. Most choose to live in the hostels on the campus.
It is listed in the FAIMER International Medical Education Directory of International Medical Schools. Nishtar's graduates are eligible to appear in different countries medical licensing exams, notable among them are United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) and Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board test (PLAB) of UK.
- Basic Health Sciences departments
- Behavioral Medicine
- Forensic Medicine
- Community Medicine
- Medical Education
- Clinical Health Sciences departments
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
In addition, allied specialty exposure is ensured in different subspecialties of medicine and surgery.
Nishtar Medical College graduates have a strong alumni presence in United States. Nishtar Alumni Association of North America (NANA) continues to fund one major project every year. Some of the continuing and past projects include 25 scholarships per year, extension project of the paediatrics ward, conference room in the ER, GI/Endoscopy suite and Simulation Lab for the students. This medical college also has associated hospital of 1700 beds.
Dr. Jamal Bhutta was the founding Principal and Medical Superintendent of the Institute.
- ":: University of Health Sciences Lahore ::". Uhs.edu.pk. Archived from the original on 1 December 2011. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- "College of Physicians and Surgeons Pakistan". Cpsp.edu.pk. Retrieved 4 October 2013.
- "University of health sciences lahore". uhs.edu.pk. Archived from the original on 1 December 2011. Retrieved 24 February 2012.
- "History – Nishtar Alumni Association of North America". nishtar.org. Retrieved 24 February 2012.
- "Admission of Foreign Students in MBBS, BDS, BS Eng, D-Pharmacy under self finance scheme". Hec.gov.pk. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- "Pakistan Medical & Dental Council > About Us > Recognized Medical/Dental Colleges". Pmdc.org.pk. Archived from the original on 19 August 2010. Retrieved 4 October 2013.
- "College of Physicians & Surgeons Pakistan". Cpsp.edu.pk. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- "IMED – FAIMER International Medical Education Directory – School Details". Imed.faimer.org. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- "Nishtar hospital – Nishtar Alumni Association of North America". nishtar.org. Retrieved 24 February 2012.
- "Nishtar medical college – Nishtar Alumni Association of North America". nishtar.org. Retrieved 24 February 2012.
- "Nishtar Alumni Association of North America – Home". Nishtar.org. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- Nishtar Medical College Official website of the college.
- Nishtar Medical College Alumni of North America Official website of Nishtar graduates who are in training or practice in North America.
- University of Health Sciences Lahore The university to which the college is affiliated.
== A project with Muhammad Nawaz Shariff University of Agriculture Multan Recently Nishtar Medical University Multan has been started a Human Nutrition and Diets program with Muhammad Nawaz Shariff University Multan. I will may help to improve to the human health. There are 70 students of HND class 6 are Boys out of 70, 64 are Girls. Babar Ali is the CR of the class and Naqeeba and Sahra are the GR of the class. This is 8 semesters program. A four years program. All the students will get their degree from Nishtar medical university Multan and Muhammad Nawaz shariff university Multan. All the students will be Doctor after 4 years (completion of their degree) in the Nishtar Medical Youtube Channal Hospital Multan. The will be awarded with the 17th scale after the completion of their degree.