North Point Light
North Point Lighthouse in Lake Park
|Year first lit||1888|
|Construction||Cast Iron (1888) / Steel (1912)|
|Height||74 feet (23 m)|
|Original lens||Fourth order Fresnel lens|
The lighthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984 as reference #84003732. It was also added to the Library of Congress Historic American Buildings Survey as survey HABS WI-358.
It replaced a previous Cream City brick lighthouse constructed in 1855 that was located too close to the edge of the eroding bluff. In 1888 a cast-iron lighthouse was built, but this tower was not tall enough and was placed on top of a steel structure in 1912 raising its height to 74 feet (23 m) and light focal plane to 154 feet (47 m). The tower underwent restoration in 2005.
The first lantern burned mineral oil. A new lens, installed in 1868, is still in use. The present light source is a 25,000 candlepower lamp rotated electrically and controlled by an automatic time clock. The lens focuses a 1,300,000 candlepower signal visible for 25 miles (40 km).
A $984,000 grant was used to restore the light and to open it to the public.
USCG archive photo
- United States Coast Guard, Milwaukee County Historical Society, sign by lighthouse
- Rowlett, Russ. "Lighthouses of the United States: Eastern Wisconsin". The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Specialized Additional reading
- Havighurst, Walter (1943) The Long Ships Passing: The Story of the Great Lakes, Macmillan Publishers.
- Oleszewski, Wes, Great Lakes Lighthouses, American and Canadian: A Comprehensive Directory/Guide to Great Lakes Lighthouses, (Gwinn, Michigan: Avery Color Studios, Inc., 1998) ISBN 0-932212-98-0.
- Pepper, Terry. "Seeing the Light: Lighthouses on the western Great Lakes".
- Sapulski, Wayne S., (2001) Lighthouses of Lake Michigan: Past and Present (Paperback) (Fowlerville: Wilderness Adventure Books) ISBN 0-923568-47-6; ISBN 978-0-923568-47-4.
- Wright, Larry and Wright, Patricia, Great Lakes Lighthouses Encyclopedia Hardback (Erin: Boston Mills Press, 2006) ISBN 1-55046-399-3.
- North Point Lighthouse Friends, Inc.
- Seeing the light
- Lighthouse friends article
- NPS Inventory of Historic Light Stations - Wisconsin
- Library of Congress Historic American Buildings Survey Survey number HABS WI-358
- "Historic Light Station Information and Photography: Wisconsin". United States Coast Guard Historian's Office. North Point Light.