North Shore railway station
Southbound view in April 2008, broad gauge platform on the left, standard gauge on the right
|Location||Station Street, North Shore|
Great Southern Rail
|Distance||67.17 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Platforms||3 (1 island, 1 side)|
|Fare zone||Myki zone 3/4 overlap|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||15 April 1895|
Although some references say the station opened on 15 April 1895, an 1857 map shows a station named Cowies Creek on the current site, which by the 1880s was called North Shore. In 1909, the station was briefly renamed Corio, reverting to North Shore in 1913. In the 1920s various other names, related to the industrial expansion in the area, were suggested for the station, including Jelbart, Pivot and Ford. In 1930, the Minister for Railways announced that the station's name would change to Pivot, but that was never carried out.
In the early 1950s the station was reduced to being staffed by a caretaker, responsible to the stationmaster at Corio. In February 1959, the former single line was duplicated from North Geelong to Corio, and North Shore was re-built as an island platform 200 metres to the north of the old station. The previous group of standard country railway buildings was replaced by a small wooden office and waiting room. After being damaged by fire, that building was replaced by two metal bus shelters.
In 1995, the Western standard gauge line was built to the western side of the station. It is used by freight trains to and from Adelaide, with a short platform provided for The Overland passenger service opened in May 1999.
Platforms & services
- North Shore Station Rail Geelong
- Wynd, Ian (1981). So Fine a Country: A History of the Shire of Corio. North Geelong: Shire of Corio. p. 180-181. ISBN 0959441107.
- Lara, Corio, North Shore Victorian Station Histories
- "Geelong Standard Gauge Platform Opens, Overland Accelerated but Stations Bypassed" Railway Digest July 1999 page 17
- North Geelong Junction (Loop Line) Rail Geelong
- Geelong - Melbourne timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Timetables Great Southern Rail