Oskar Freiherr von Hohenhausen
|Oskar Freiherr von Hohenhausen und Hochhaus|
|Born||15 February 1905
|Died||26 February 1970
|Allegiance|| Weimar Republic (to 1933)
Nazi Germany (to 1945)
|Years of service||1938–45
|Commands held||Panzergrenadier-Regiment 9|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Oskar Freiherr von Hohenhausen und Hochhaus[Note 1] (15 February 1905 – 26 February 1970) was a highly decorated Oberstleutnant in the Wehrmacht during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership.
Awards and decorations
- West Wall Medal (20 March 1940)
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (15 June 1940)
- 1st Class (18 June 1940)
- Wound Badge (1939)
- in Black (25 September 1941)
- in Silver (16 April 1944)
- in Gold (5 June 1943)
- General Assault Badge (30 September 1941)
- Honour Roll Clasp of the Army (20 September 1941)
- Crusade Against Communism (Cruciada împotriva comunismului, Romania, 9 June 1942)
- Order of the Star of Romania with Swords (16 June 1942)
- Officer of the Order of the Crown of Romania with Swords (16 May 1943)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 11 May 1945 as Oberstleutnant and commander of Panzergrenadier-Regiment 9[Note 2]
- Regarding personal names: Freiherr is a former title (translated as Baron), which is now legally a part of the last name. The feminine forms are Freifrau and Freiin.
- Oskar Freiherr von Hohenhausen und Hochhaus's nomination by the troop was sent to the Heerespersonalamt (HPA—Army Staff Office) on 15 May 1945 as a teleprinter message. The HPA received the message on 16 May 1945. Major Joachim Domaschk noted: "not processed". The presentation date was assigned by Walther-Peer Fellgiebel. Hohenhausen und Hochhaus was a member of the Association of Knight's Cross Recipients (AKCR).
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 193.
- Scherzer 2007, p. 143.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000) . Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 — Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.