Otter River State Forest
|Otter River State Forest|
|Massachusetts State Forest|
|Towns||Templeton, Winchendon, Royalston|
|Location||Winchendon Road (Rt 202)|
|- elevation||935 ft (285 m) |
|- coordinates||Coordinates: |
|Area||1,022 acres (414 ha) |
|Management||Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation|
|Website: Otter River State Forest|
Otter River State Forest is a Massachusetts state forest located near the village of Baldwinville in the town of Templeton. The forest encompasses the land surrounding the junction of the Otter and Millers rivers. Habitats include freshwater marsh, northern hardwood stands, and pine groves planted by the Civilian Conservation Corps to reforest former farmlands. The forest was the first property acquired by the State Forest Commission in 1915. It is managed by the Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR).
Activities and amenities
- Day-use area: The developed portion of the forest is accessed from Route 202 and is centered around Beamans Pond. Facilities include a swimming beach, ballfield, picnic areas and a pavilion for up to fifty people. The day-use area is handicapped accessible and includes restrooms and showers.
- Trails: The extensive trail system is used for walking, hiking, mountain biking, cross-country skiing, snowmobiling and dog-sledding.
- Camping: There are 85 seasonal campsites, including yurts.
- The forest also offers fishing, restricted hunting, and interpretive programs.
- The camping club that formed at Otter River State Forest as the New England Campers Association in 1957 and known today as the North American Family Campers Association maintains a brick garden to remember members and chapters. A garden bench is dedicated to former NAFCA President, Roger Swallow (1941-2007).
- "Otter River State Forest". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- "2012 Acreage Listing" (PDF). Department of Conservation and Recreation. April 2012. Retrieved January 19, 2014.
- "Otter River State Forest". MassParks. Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs. Retrieved August 14, 2013.
- "Obituary: Mr. Roger L. Swallow". The Advertiser Democrat (Norway, Maine). March 29, 2007.
- Otter River State Forest Department of Conservation and Recreation
- Otter River State Forest Summer Trail Map Department of Conservation and Recreation
- Otter River State Forest Winter Trail Map Department of Conservation and Recreation
- Otter River State Forest Campground Map Department of Conservation and Recreation