Pakistan Olympic Association
Pakistan Olympic Association logo
|President||Syed Arif Hasan|
|Secretary General||Muhammad Khalid Mahmood|
Pakistan Olympic Association (acronym: POA) is the National Olympic Committee (NOC) of Pakistan. The association was established in 1948 to oversee the active participation of the newly independent state at the Olympiad. Muhammad Ali Jinnah, the first Governor-General of the country also became the patron-in-chief of the new institution, whereas Ahmed E.H. Jaffar became its first President. Over the years, the association has been responsible for fundraising and setting up the management of delegations for the Olympic Games. As an NOC, the association is the first contact point for the International Olympic Committee. Some of its members are also active participants in various management activities at the IOC. Within the country, the association remains the oldest sports body. It was the premier regulator of sports activities in Pakistan from 1948 until the establishment of Pakistan Sports Board in 1962. The association continues to develop programmes in co-ordination with its affiliated bodies to promote sports at various levels. It is also responsible for Pakistan's representation at the Commonwealth Games and organising the annual National Games event.
After the independence of the country from the British Raj on 14 August 1947, the need was immediately realised to promote the culture of sports within the country and ensure wider participation and recognition at international level. In this respect, POA was affiliated by the International Olympic Committee in 1948. Subsequently, it also became a member of the Association of National Olympic Committees (ANOC) and the Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) respectively.
- Ahmad E. H. Jaffer (from 25 February 1949 to 27 February 1950).
- Ghulam Muhammad (from 27 February 1950 to 5 November 1951).
- Sardar Abdur Rab Nishtar (from 5 November 1951 to 21 August 1955).
- Chaudhry Muhammad Ali (from 21 August 1955 to Sept 1956).
- H. S. Suhrawardy (from Sept 1956 to 6 March 1958).
- Feroz Khan Noon (from 16 March 1958 to 16 November 1958).
- Lt-Gen Azam Khan (from 16 November 1958 to 22 September 1963).
- Rana Abdul Hamid Khan (from 22 September 1963 to 3 April 1972).
- Malik Meraj Khalid (from 3 April 1972 to Nov 1977).
- Syed Wajid Ali (from 3 March 1978 to 11 March 2004).
- Lt-Gen R Syed Arif Hassan (from 11 March 2004 to date).
State Olympic Associations
The association controls its memberships through the working of its Affiliation and Constitution Committee (ACC) which is composed of the pronvincial sports bodies and POA officials.  Following are the major sports federations and associations affiliated with the POA:
- Balochistan Olympic Association
- Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Olympic Association
- Punjab Olympic Association
- Sindh Olympic Association
- Kashmir Olympic Association
National Sports Federations
IOC Permanent Olympic Sports
IOC Winter Olympic Sports
|Skating||Pakistan Skating Association|
|Skiing||Ski Federation of Pakistan|
IOC Recognized Sports
|Air Sports||All Pakistan Aeromodelling and Ultra Light Association|
|Auto Racing||Motorsport Association of Pakistan|
|Baseball||Pakistan Federation Baseball|
|Bowling||Pakistan Bowling Federation|
|Bridge||Pakistan Bridge Federation|
|Canoeing||Pakistan Canoe and Kayak Federation|
|Chess||Chess Federation of Pakistan|
|Cricket||Pakistan Cricket Board|
|Floorball||Pakistan Floorball Federation|
|Karate||Pakistan Karate Federation|
|Korfball||Pakistan Korfball Federation|
|Lifesaving||Pakistan Aquatic Life Saving|
|Mountaineering and Climbing||Alpine Club of Pakistan|
|Netball||Pakistan Netball Federation|
|Orienteering||Pakistan Orienteering Association|
|Polo||Pakistan Polo Association|
|Racquetball||Racquetball Association of Pakistan|
|Roller Sports||Pakistan Federation of Roller Skating|
|Softball||Pakistan Softball Federation|
|Squash||Pakistan Squash Federation|
|Sumo||Pakistan Sumo Federation|
|Tug of War||Pakistan Tug of War Federation|
|Wushu||Pakistan Wushu Federation|
Following are some federations of those sports which IOC do not considers as a Sport.
|Bodybuilding||Pakistan Bodybuilding Federation|
|Ball Hockey||Pakistan Street and Ball Hockey Federation|
|Darts||Pakistan Darts Federation|
|Fishing||Pakistan Game Fishing Association|
|Fistball||Pakistan Fistball Federation|
|Ju-Jitsu||Pakistan Ju-Jitsu Federation|
|Kabaddi||Pakistan Kabaddi Federation|
- Jinnah, M.A. (1989). Speeches and Statements as Governor-General of Pakistan. Directorate of Films & Publications. Government of Pakistan. p.245
- Hussain, S.T. (1949). The Pakistan Year Book & Who's Who. Kitabistan. p. 779
- International Olympic Committee – Organisation – Structures
- Introduction to Pakistan Sports Board. Retrieved on 7 July 2008
- "Pakistan at the Commonwealth Games". Commonwealth Games Federation. Retrieved 20 November 2012.
- Revised National Sports Policy 2005. S.R.O.1249(I)/2005, Article 5d. Ministry of Culture, Sports and Youth Affairs, Government of Pakistan. Retrieved on 7 July 2008
- Qureshi, I.H. (1957). The Pakistani Way of Life. W. Hoinemann.
- Pakistan Olympic Association: GTP Business directory
- POA's Affiliation and Constitution Committee to meet today. The Nation. Retrieved on 6 July 2008.