Palestinians in Jordan
|(634,182 (Who do not hold Jordanian citizenship) - 2,117,361 (Registered refugees) )|
|Regions with significant populations|
|Amman, Zarqa, Irbid, Jerash and Balqa governorates|
|Islam and Christianity|
Palestinians in Jordan refers to people with Palestinian citizenship of Palestinian refugee status living in Jordan or sometimes all those of full or partial Palestinian ancestry living in Jordan. Most Palestinian ancestors came to Jordan as Palestinian refugees between 1947 and 1967. Today, most Palestinians and their descendants in Jordan are fully naturalized, making Jordan the only Arab country to fully integrate the Palestinian refugees of 1948.
In Jordan, there is no official census data for how many inhabitants are Palestinians and it rather depends on the definition of who is a Palestinian. In 2008, Minority Rights Group International estimated that about 3 million residing in Jordan have Palestinian origin. Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics put their number at 3.24 million in 2009. There are nearly 2.1 million registered Palestinian refugees in Jordan as of 2014. Around 370,000 live in ten refugee camps, with the biggest one being Baqa'a refugee camp with over 104,000 residents, followed by Amman New Camp (Wihdat) with over 51,500 residents.
This is a list of Palestinian people in Jordan and people of Palestinian ancestry:
- Anwar Nusseibeh, politician
- Ahmad Toukan, politician
- Amer Shafi, footballer
- Hassan Abdel-Fattah, footballer
- Ibrahim Nasrallah, poet and novelist
- Princess Firyal of Jordan, princess
- Samir al-Rifai, politician
- Queen Alia of Jordan, third wife of king Hussein
- Queen Rania of Jordan, wife of king Abdullah II
- Refugees in Jordan
- Demographics of Jordan
- 1948 Palestinian exodus
- 1967 Palestinian exodus
- Jordanian annexation of the West Bank
- King Hussein's federation plan
- Black September in Jordan
- "Assessment for Palestinians in Jordan". Minorities at Risk. 2006. Archived from the original on 1 January 2016. Retrieved 24 January 2016.
- "World Directory of Minorities and Indigenous Peoples - Jordan - Palestinians". Minority Rights Group International. 2008. Retrieved 24 January 2016.
- "Palestinians at the end of 2012" (PDF). Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics. 2009. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- "Where We Work - Jordan". UNRWA. 2014.