Peter Gourevitch (born 1943) is a political scientist with expertise in international relations and comparative politics. In 2005-06, he was a visiting fellow at the Russell Sage Foundation where he worked on a book comparing managerial oversight with institutional investors from four countries. Concurrently, he was a fellow at The John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation. Gourevitch is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations and chairs its selection committee for International Affairs Fellowships. He is also a past president of the Association of Professional Schools of International Affairs and is currently a Professor of Political Science at the Graduate School of International Relations and Pacific Studies at the University of California, San Diego.
He received his B.A. from Oberlin College and a Ph.D. in Political Science from Harvard University in 1969.
Gourevitch is well known within the International Relations community for having first coined the term "second image reversed" in his 1978 re-examination of Kenneth Waltz's three images theory.
- Political Power and Corporate Control: The New Global Politics of Corporate Governance, (with James Shinn), 2005.
- United States—Japan Relations & International Institutions After the Cold War, 1995
- New Challenges to International Cooperation: Adjustment of Firms, Policies and Organizations to Global Competition, 1993.
- The Pacific Region (Annals of the American Academy of Political & Social Science, 1989.
- Politics in Hard Times: Comparative Responses To International Economic Crises, 1986.
- Unions and Economic Crisis: Britain, West Germany, and Sweden, 1984.
- Untangling US Foreign Policy.: An article from: Harvard International Review, 2000.
- Politicas Estrategicas En Tiempos Dificiles, 1994.
- How Shareholder Reforms Can Pay Foreign Policy Dividends, (with James P. Shinn), Council on Foreign Relations, 2002
- France and the Troubled World Economy, (with Stephen Cohen, co-editor), 1982.
- International Industrial Relations Perspectives, (edited by Peter Doeringer, with associate editors Peter Gourevitch, Peter Lange, and Andrew Martin), Macmillan Press, 1981.
- Paris and the Provinces: The Politics of Local Government Reform in France, University of California Press, 1980.