Picture the Homeless
Picture the Homeless (PTH) is an American homeless person led rights organization based in the New York, New York. It focuses on human rights, housing, against police abuse and other social justice issues. It was housed originally in Judson Memorial Church, which still hosts its Longest Night of the Year memorial event, and was located for a time in El Barrio and 2427 Morris Ave in the Bronx. It is currently based on 126th St in Manhattan.
Picture the Homeless is a nonprofit organization whose goal is to end homelessness. It believes that people who are homeless must become an organized, effective voice for systemic change. PTH attempts to develop leadership among homeless people to impact policies and systems that affect the lives of homeless people. They also endeavor to create space for homeless people, and their agenda, within the broader social justice movement. They are strong proponents of diverting funds from the New York City Department of Homeless Services out of the shelter system and into community land trusts. To this end, the organization founded a coalition called The New York City Community Land Initiative with The New Economy Project and other groups.
- Civil Rights - Picture the Homeless is involved in a number of civil rights campaigns with a large focus on anti-police brutality protests and court cases.
- Housing - The organization believes that housing is a human right and that access to housing is in crisis in New York City. Their campaigns have included fighting for affordable housing. Their actions have included occupying buildings and vacant lots.
In 2009 four members of Picture the Homeless traveled to Budapest, Hungary to meet homeless and non-homeless activists, present the work of organizing homeless people in New York and to mutually exchange experiences. In Budapest, Picture the Homeless was instrumental in founding Hungary’s first homeless-led advocacy group called A Város Mindenkié (The City is For All).
- "Picture the Homeless: About Us".
- Scott Andrew Hutchins representing Picture the Homeless at Studio X, October 29, 2013. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9TgUSxdGTU
- Ryan Gibbs representing Picture the Homeless at Monroe College, October 12, 2013. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzzlQJ-Lx5Q
- Brendan O'Oonnor. "The Ungentrifiers: Hiding affordable apartments from a ravenous market." The Awl. July 30th, 2015 http://nyf.org/newsmakers/picture-the-homeless-and-new-economy-project-quoted-in-report-on-community-land-trusts-in-feature-on-the-awl/
- "Picture the Homeless v. City of New York".
- "Protest against NYPD arrests of the homeless".
- "a PTH member's editorial on police harassment".
- "Housing Not Warehousing Campaign".
- "East Harlem Residents, Housing Advocates Rally Outside Vacant Building".
- Moynihan, Colin (2009-07-23). "Activists Arrested After Occupying East Harlem Lot". New York Times.
- "Homeless in Hungary". The Indypendent.