Plaza of the Americas (Gainesville, Florida)
|Campus||University of Florida|
Plaza of the Americas
Looking north across the plaza, towards Library West
|Architect||Frederick Law Olmsted, Jr.|
The Plaza of the Americas is a major center of student activity on the campus of the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida. It is located in the quad between Library West, Peabody Hall, the University Auditorium, and the Chemistry Building.
In 2008 the Plaza of the Americas became a contributing property in the University of Florida Campus Historic District which was added to the National Register of Historic Places on April 20, 1989.
In 1925, landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted, Jr. developed the plans to improve the plaza. In 1931, the space was officially designated the Plaza of the Americas at the first meeting of the Institute of Inter-American Affairs. The students planted 21 trees around the plaza. They dedicated the newly planted trees to the 21 countries that were invited to the meeting. Today, the quad is the unofficial forum for the University of Florida where students and organizations present their ideals.
A $2.2 million renovation of the Plaza of the Americas, which included additional landscaping, benches, and sidewalks, was begun in November 2016. The project was completed a year later, and a dedication ceremony for the renovated plaza was held on November 17, 2017.
- "Plaza of the Americas". University of Florida Physical Plant Division. Retrieved 2013-03-26.
- National Park Service Weekly Update on July 3, 2008
- Gainesville Sun July 16, 2008
- A Unique University - Plaza of the Americas
- "Renovations to Plaza of the Americas to begin today". alligator.org. Retrieved February 3, 2020.
- "Newly renovated Plaza of the Americas dedicated during ceremony". UF Strategic Development. Retrieved February 3, 2020.
- "Plaza of the Americas". from the University of Florida Physical Plant Division
- Additional info about the Plaza from the University of Florida Interactive Media Lab
- Alligator does story on the Plaza from alligator.org
- Historic American Landscapes Survey (HALS) No. FL-5, "University of Florida Campus, Plaza of the Americas, University of Florida Campus Quad Bounded by West University Avenue, US 441/Southwest 13th Street, Stadium Road, and North-South Drive, Gainesville, Alachua County, FL", 1 measured drawing, 6 data pages