Pop Rocks (film)
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for films. (March 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Screenplay by||William Ryan
|Story by||William Ryan|
|Directed by||Ron Lagomarsino|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Running time||120 minutes|
|Production company(s)||ABC Family Productions
Patricia Clifford Productions
|Distributor||Disney-ABC Domestic Television|
|Original network||ABC Family|
Bank loan officer Jerry Harden has his life turned upside down when a scruffy-looking guitarist named Izzy shows up at his bank office. It is revealed that Jerry was a member of a hard rock/glam metal band called Rock Toxin, and the members are planning a one-time-only reunion. Jerry is reluctant, as he prefers suburbia to the wild rock lifestyle he left behind, but is forced to reconsider when he finds that he doesn't have enough money to send his 17-year-old daughter Olivia to college.
Since Jerry has never told his wife Allison about being in the band, he embarks upon living a hectic double life: nerdish pillar of society by day and heavily-made-up rock singer by night. Since the group Rock Toxin wore heavy "Kiss"-like makeup he doesn't think anyone will ever find out about his alternative persona, but this is when his troubles truly begin. Jerry fights to keep his past hidden while taking part in the concert which all the town will be attending. But only the truth can save his family if it isn't too late.
- Gary Cole as Jerry "Dagger" Harden
- Sherilyn Fenn as Allison Harden
- David Jensen as Izzy
- Douglas M. Griffin as Stu
- Dane Hereford as Ramone
- Asher Book as Liam Harden
- Johanna Braddy as Olivia Harden
- Joe Inscoe as Carl Hunter
- Shannon Eubanks as Helen Hunter
- Wilbur Fitzgerald as Donaldson
With the death of ABC Family programming executive Linda Mancuso in December 2003, Disney Channel original programming leaders, executive vice president of original programming and production Gary Marsh and original movies vice president Michael Healy took charge over ABC Family's original movies unit in early 2004. They move away from the planned romantic comedies to green light two telefilms, Crimes of Fashion and Head Rush. By May 10, 2004, Head Rush was renamed Pop Rocks! and had signed its two lead actors, Gary Cole and Sherilyn Fenn. Patricia Clifford was signed on as executive producer and Ron Lagomarsino as director. The movie was filmed in New Orleans.
Reviewer Phil Gallo of Variety considered the film to have potential but fell "flat" in being humorless and silly. With 103 user rating the film as of March 23, 2017, Rotten Tomatoes has the film with an Audience Score of 43% with an average rating of 2.8 out of 5. 457 IMDb users voted the movie with a weighted average of 6.0 out of 10 while the 10 users that reviewed and scored the movie gave it on average an 8.6.
- Phil Gallo (September 8, 2004). "Review: 'Pop Rocks'". Variety. Retrieved 2015-10-23.
- "Development Update: May 6-10". TheFutonCritic.com. May 10, 2004. Retrieved March 22, 2017.
- Martin, Denise (March 25, 2004). "ABC Family grows into new fields with two pix". Daily Variety. Retrieved March 22, 2017.
- "Pop Rocks". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango. Retrieved March 23, 2017.
- Lagomarsino, Ron (10 September 2004). "Pop Rocks Ratings". IMDb.com. Amazon. Retrieved March 23, 2017.
- Lagomarsino, Ron (10 September 2004). "Pop Rocks Reviews". IMDb.com. Amazon. Retrieved March 23, 2017.