Port Hope Township, Beltrami County, Minnesota
|Port Hope Township, Minnesota|
|• Total||32.5 sq mi (84.2 km2)|
|• Land||28.4 sq mi (73.6 km2)|
|• Water||4.1 sq mi (10.6 km2)|
|Elevation||1,355 ft (413 m)|
|• Density||20.8/sq mi (8.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0665345|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 32.5 square miles (84.2 km²), of which 28.4 square miles (73.6 km²) is land and 4.1 square miles (10.5 km²) (12.52%) is water.
- Beltrami Lake (east quarter)
- Gull Lake (south half)
- Little Gnat Lake (northeast quarter)
- Moose Lake (vast majority)
- Peterson Lake
- Pool Lake
- Range Line Lake (east edge)
- School Lake
- Three Island Lake (east half)
- Turtle River Lake (north quarter)
- Hagali Township (north)
- Taylor Township (east)
- Sugar Bush Township (southeast)
- Turtle River Township (south)
- Northern Township (southwest)
- Turtle Lake Township (west)
As of the census of 2000, there were 590 people, 217 households, and 164 families residing in the township. The population density was 20.8 people per square mile (8.0/km²). There were 268 housing units at an average density of 9.4/sq mi (3.6/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 93.90% White, 0.17% African American, 2.71% Native American, 0.17% Asian, and 3.05% from two or more races.
There were 217 households out of which 37.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 66.8% were married couples living together, 5.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.0% were non-families. 18.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.67 and the average family size was 3.07.
In the township the population was spread out with 28.1% under the age of 18, 7.5% from 18 to 24, 29.3% from 25 to 44, 27.1% from 45 to 64, and 8.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 126.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 117.4 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $41,154, and the median income for a family was $44,464. Males had a median income of $35,341 versus $22,750 for females. The per capita income for the township was $18,960. About 6.0% of families and 9.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 7.4% of those under age 18 and 4.4% of those age 65 or over.
- United States National Atlas
- United States Census Bureau 2007 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- United States Board on Geographic Names (GNIS)
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- United States Census Bureau American FactFinder - Port Hope Township total population
- Upham, Warren (1920). Minnesota Geographic Names: Their Origin and Historic Significance. Minnesota Historical Society. p. 39.