|Founded||2015, as a joint venture between Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (MHI) and Siemens.|
|Products||Metallurgy and rolling mill technology|
Number of employees
Primetals Technologies Limited, is an engineering and plant construction company for clients in the metals industry, both the ferrous and the nonferrous metals sector. The firm, based in London (UK), is a joint venture established in 2015 by bringing together Siemens VAI Metals Technologies and Japan’s Mitsubishi Hitachi Metals Machinery (MHMM).
Mitsubishi Hitachi Metals Machinery (MHMM), an MHI consolidated group company with equity participation by Hitachi, Ltd. and IHI Corporation, holds a 51 percent stake and Siemens a 49 percent stake in the joint venture. The combined company has some 7,000 employees worldwide.
Through its owners, Siemens and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (MHI), Primetals Technologies can draw on almost 170 years of experience. Its expertise covers the entire value chain in iron and steel production, thanks to the many acquisitions made during this time. The most significant invention remains the BOF (LD) process, which is now used in more than 70 percent of steel works worldwide. Other significant processes are Corex and Finex, which rely on the direct use of coal to produce pig iron.
History of MHMM
- 2000 – Joint venture MHI-Hitachi Metals Machinery, Inc. established
- 2002 – Name changed to Mitsubishi-Hitachi Metals Machinery, Inc.
- 2004 – Mitsubishi-Hitachi Metals Machinery, Inc. U.S.A. established
- 2005 – Acquisition of New Genecoat, Inc., U.S.A
- 2006 – MHMM receives contract for supply of pickling line-tandem cold mill from Shougang Jingtang Inc., China
- 2007 – Mitsubishi-Hitachi Metals Machinery, Inc., China established
- 2010 – Start-up of endless billet-welding and rolling mill at POSCO, South Korea
- 2010 – Founding of Mitsubishi-Hitachi Metals Machinery South Asia Private Ltd.
- 2012 – Start-up of No. 2 Hot-Rolling Mill at Usiminas Cubatão, Brazil
- 2013 – Integration of IHI Metaltech rolling mill business
- 2013 – Concast Ltd, India joins Mitsubishi-Hitachi Group
- 2013 – Acquisition of 100% shares of Hasegawa Gear Works, Ltd.
History of Siemens VAI Metals Technologies
- Satoru Iijima appointed CEO of Primetals Technologies
- steelguru. "Primetals Technologies to supply automation technology to the rolling mills of Ulsan Aluminum in Korea". SteelGuru India. Retrieved 2018-12-07.
- Staff, Sun. "Inbox [Jan. 20-27]: News and notes from WCAC, St. Peter-Marian, Primetals, Worcester Roots Project + more". worcester.ma. Retrieved 2018-12-07.
- "Ernesto Bottone nominato ad e legale rappresentante di Primetals Technologies Italy Srl". VareseNews (in Italian). 2018-06-18. Retrieved 2018-12-07.