|Traded as||Euronext: PUB|
CAC 40 Component
|Arthur Sadoun (CEO)|
|Products||Branding & identity|
|Revenue||€9.6 billion (2015)|
|€937 million (2014)|
Publicis Groupe is a French multinational advertising and public relations company, and is the oldest and one of the largest marketing and communications companies in the world, by revenue, headquartered in Paris.
After 1945 the little-known Paris-based advertising agency grew rapidly, becoming the world's fourth-largest agency.[when?] It was a leader in promoting France's post-war economic boom, especially the expansion of the advertising industry; it was successful because of its close ties with top officials of the French government, its clever use of symbols to promote itself, and its ability to attract clients from widely diverse growing industries.
It is now one of the "Big Four" agency companies, alongside WPP, Interpublic and Omnicom. Publicis Groupe S.A. is presided by Arthur Sadoun, and its agencies provide digital and traditional advertising, media services and marketing services (SAMS) to national and multinational clients.
Although it was announced in July 2013 that Publicis Groupe and Omnicom Group would merge to form Publicis Omnicom Group, by May 2014 it was announced that the deal had fallen through and the Publicis-Omnicom merger would not happen.
The company was founded by Marcel Bleustein-Blanchet aged 20 in 1926. The company owns several full-service advertising groups that undertake a range of media activities: mobile and interactive online communication, television, magazines & newspapers, cinema and radio, outdoor. The company's SAMS services include direct marketing/customer relationship management services, sales promotion, healthcare communications, multicultural and ethnic communications, corporate and financial communications, human resource infrastructure, public relations, design services, interactive communications, events marketing and management, sports marketing, and production and pre-press services. Its media services include media planning, media buying, and media sales. Publicis Groupe's Vivaki  pole has developed a technological platform supported by Microsoft, Google, Yahoo! and AOL Platform A technologies that offers advertisers the possibility to target specifically defined audiences in a single campaign across multiple networks.
In 2011, Publicis was named the third-largest marketing group worldwide by revenue, surpassing Interpublic. By the end of 2010, the twin sectors of digital activities and high-growth emerging countries represented one-half of Publicis Groupe's total revenue.
The group had operations in over 202 cities in 105 countries, including a strategic alliance with Dentsu. In 2013, Publicis announced plans to merge with Omnicom to form Publicis Omnicom Group; however this plan ultimately failed as it was announced in May 2014.
In February 2015, Publicis acquired Sapient Corporation to form Publicis.Sapient as the largest Digital Network on the planet including SapientNitro, Sapient Consulting, DigitasLBI and RazorfishGlobal.
In December 2015, Publicis announced a new organisation designed to better serve clients, around 4 main divisions:
- Publicis Communications (gathering creative networks Leo Burnett Worldwide, Publicis Worldwide, Saatchi & Saatchi, Bartle Bogle Hegarty (BBH), global design and technology consultancy Nurun, and creative production group Prodigious Brand Logistics and global PR agency MSLGROUP) under the leadership of Arthur Sadoun;
- Publicis Media (gathering the media planning & buying capabilities of Starcom Mediavest Group and ZenithOptimedia) under the leadership of Steve King;
- Publicis.Sapient (gathering technology & digital agencies Razorfish, DigitasLBi and Sapient Corporation) under the leadership of Alan Herrick;
- Publicis Healthcare, already in existence, will remain under the leadership of Nick Colucci.
In addition, Laura Desmond will become Chief Revenue Officer, leading a team of 20 Chief Client Officers who will lead client teams across all Publicis Groupe entities. This new organisation will be effective 1 January 2016.[dead link]
As of October 2015, the main subsidiary companies of this group are:
- Publicis Communications
- Publicis Media
- Publicis Sapient
- Publicis Health
- Specialized Agencies
- History of advertising
- LEVEL Studios
- Maurice Lévy
- John Rossant (Vice President of communications and public affairs)
- "Publicis Groupe : 2015 Annual Results". Publicis Groupe. Retrieved 30 September 2016.
- Clark Hultquist, "Publicis and the French advertising world, 1946--1968" Essays in Economic & Business History (2009) 27: 61-76.
- Elliott, Stuart (31 March 2002). "Advertising's Big Four: It's Their World Now". The New York Times. Retrieved 3 October 2017.
- Channick, Robert (28 July 2013). "Leo Burnett parent in huge ad merger deal". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 3 October 2017.
- Celles, David (8 May 2014). "At Odds, Omnicom and Publicis End Merger". New York Times. Retrieved 3 October 2017.
- Garside, Juliette (28 July 2013). "Omnicom and Publicis merger creates communications giant". The Guardian. Retrieved 3 October 2017.
- History of Digital Pre-Press Services[permanent dead link] (last checked on 11 February 2008)
- "About - VivaKi". Retrieved 3 October 2017.
- Brand Republic. "WPP overtakes Omnicom as biggest marketing group". Retrieved 12 April 2011.
- Gelles, David. "At Odds, Omnicom and Publicis End Merger". The New York Times. Retrieved 3 October 2017.
- "Publicis Groupe Transformation DEF" (PDF). 2 December 2015.
- Green, Chris (17 March 2016). "PR firm accused of helping Saudi Arabia 'whitewash' its human rights record". The Independent. Retrieved 3 October 2017.
- "Supplemental Statement Pursuant to the Foreign Agents Registration Act of 1938" (PDF). fara.gov. Foreign Agents Registration Act. 5 April 2015. p. 12. Retrieved 3 October 2017.
- "Publicis Groupe | Our Brands". PublicisGroupe.com. Retrieved 3 October 2017.
- Groupe, Publicis. "Publicis Groupe".
- "3-SHARE – Adobe Experience Manager Experts". www.3sharecorp.com. Retrieved 3 October 2017.
- Groupe, Publicis. "Publicis Groupe Acquires 3|Share, Adobe Digital Marketing Experts". GlobeNewswire News Room. Retrieved 3 October 2017.
- "Rosetta is an Agency Focused on Customer Engagement". Rosetta. Retrieved 3 October 2017.
- Groupe, Publicis. "Publicis Groupe".
- Clark Hultquist, "Publicis and the French advertising world, 1946--1968" Essays in Economic & Business History (2009) 27: 61-76