Location of Quintana, Texas
|• Total||2.0 sq mi (5.2 km2)|
|• Land||0.7 sq mi (1.7 km2)|
|• Water||1.4 sq mi (3.5 km2)|
|Elevation||7 ft (2 m)|
|• Density||87/sq mi (33.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1380409|
Quintana is located in southern Brazoria County at  on Quintana Beach along the Gulf of Mexico. It is bordered by the city of Surfside Beach to the northeast, across the entrance to Freeport Harbor, and by the city of Freeport to the southwest in the area of Bryan Beach. The Intracoastal Waterway on the northwest separates Quintana from the main portion of Freeport.,
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town of Quintana has a total area of 2.0 square miles (5.2 km2), of which 0.66 square miles (1.7 km2) is land and 1.4 square miles (3.5 km2), or 67.87%, is water.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Quintana has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 38 people, 20 households, and 11 families residing in the town. The population density was 62.6 people per square mile (24.1/km2). There were 41 housing units at an average density of 67.6 per square mile (26.0/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 84.21% White, and 15.79% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 15.79% of the population.
There were 20 households out of which 10.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 40.0% were married couples living together, 5.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 45.0% were non-families. 25.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.90 and the average family size was 2.18.
In the town, the population was spread out with 10.5% under the age of 18, 5.3% from 18 to 24, 26.3% from 25 to 44, 42.1% from 45 to 64, and 15.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 48 years. For every 100 females there were 171.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 142.9 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $25,500, and the median income for a family was $11,875. Males had a median income of $27,500 versus $14,688 for females. The per capita income for the town was $15,900. There were 25.0% of families and 18.2% of the population living below the poverty line, including no under eighteens and none of those over 64.
The town is served by Brazosport Independent School District.
- O. A. Fleming Elementary School
- Lanier Middle School
- Freeport Intermediate School
- Brazosport High School
The town is also served by Brazosport College.
The town is served by the Brazoria County Library System.
2003 Dolphin Stranding
On February 14, 2003, an Atlantic bottlenose dolphin was found stranded on a beach near the town. They named him Cupid because it was Valentine's Day. He was rescued by the Texas MMSN who took him to a facility for treatment. At that time he was estimated to be 18 months old and was found to have epilepsy. Cupid survived in response to the hard work and efforts of many, though he was deemed unreleasable due to his epileptic seizures and young age. In 2004, Six Flags Discovery Kingdom was selected to be his new home and where he is now happily thriving.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Quintana town, Texas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved April 17, 2014.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Climate Summary for Quintana, Texas
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 11, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.