Ramin Djawadi in 2008
July 19, 1974 |
Duisburg, West Germany
|Instruments||Piano, keyboard, synthesizer, guitar|
|Years active||1998 – present|
Ramin Djawadi (Persian: رامین جوادی; born July 19, 1974) is a German-Iranian composer. Djawadi is best known for his score for HBO's popular television series Game of Thrones. He is also known for his works on movies such as Pacific Rim, Warcraft and the Grammy-nominated score for the 2008 Marvel film Iron Man, and television series including Prison Break, Person of Interest, and Westworld.
Life and career
He was born in Duisburg, West Germany, to an Iranian father and a German mother. After graduating summa cum laude from Berklee College of Music in 1998, Djawadi garnered the attention of Hans Zimmer, who recruited him to Remote Control Productions. Djawadi moved to Los Angeles and worked as an assistant to Klaus Badelt.
He then went out on his own with Blade: Trinity, collaborating with The RZA for director David S. Goyer. This was the beginning of his relationship with Goyer for both film and television. Djawadi wrote the score for Goyer's horror thriller The Unborn, which was produced by Michael Bay. Further collaboration with Goyer was the television show FlashForward, earning him his second Emmy nomination. Djawadi also composed the Emmy-nominated main title theme for Prison Break and the title theme for the related show Breakout Kings. Djawadi's ethereal score for the film Mr. Brooks earned him a World Soundtrack Awards “Discovery of the Year” nomination. His other scores include Deception, starring Hugh Jackman and Ewan McGregor, Robert Towne's Ask the Dust, and Iron Man.
Djawadi scored the first Sony Animation project, Open Season, followed by the sequel Open Season 2. Additional animation scores include The Chubbchubbs Save Xmas. Djawadi's work in these films attracted the filmmakers of the Belgium-based nWave, who created one of the first animated movies in 3D, Fly Me to the Moon. Djawadi completed Warner Brothers' Clash of the Titans in 2010. Djawadi also scored the soundtrack for the 2010 video game Medal of Honor and the CBS crime drama Person of Interest. He also scores the FX's vampire drama The Strain, created by Pacific Rim director Guillermo del Toro.
Djawadi composed the score for the 2016 fantasy action eastern drama The Great Wall.
Djawadi is married to Jennifer Hawks, a music executive in the film industry. According to Djawadi, he has the sensory condition known as synesthesia whereby he may "associate colors with music, or music with colors", and it allows him to visualize music.
Djawadi has composed and produced over one hundred soundtracks and film scores for both film and TV. His best known work is the score of HBO's series, Game of Thrones, along with other television shows such as Prison Break, Person of Interest and Westworld. He is also known for movie scores like Pacific Rim, Iron Man, and Warcraft.
- Ramin Djawadi on FamousComposers.net
- "Game of Thrones Soundtrack Details". Film Music Reporter. May 31, 2011. Retrieved June 15, 2011.
- Victoria Ellison (April 15, 2013). "Game of Thrones Composer Ramin Djawadi: 'I'm Just Trying to Create Something Magical' (Q&A)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 22, 2015.
- Awards for Ramin Djawadi at the Internet Movie Database
- "Ramin Djawadi to Score Duncan Jones' 'Warcraft' Movie". filmmusicreporter.com. October 17, 2014.
- "Ramin Djawadi to Score HBO's 'Westworld'". Film Music Reporter. 30 December 2014.
- David, Mark (August 22, 2013). "Late Thursday Afternoon This And Thats". Variety.
- Renfro, Kim (July 7, 2016). "Meet the musical genius behind the 'Game of Thrones' soundtrack who watches each season before anyone else". Business Insider.