|Publisher(s)||Xbox Game Studios|
|Series||Gears of War|
|Engine||Unreal Engine 4|
|Release||September 10, 2019|
Gears 5 is an upcoming third-person shooter video game being developed by The Coalition that will be published by Xbox Game Studios for Microsoft Windows and Xbox One as part of Xbox Play Anywhere. The sixth installment of the Gears of War series, it is the sequel to Gears of War 4 and is scheduled to be released on September 10, 2019.
Gears 5 focuses on Kait Diaz (Laura Bailey), an Outsider of Locust descent. As Kait, the player must uncover the origins of the Locust and Kait's family. Gears of War 4 protagonist JD Fenix (Liam McIntyre), his friend Delmont Walker (Eugene Byrd), and JD's father Marcus Fenix (John DiMaggio) also return.
Gears 5 is being developed by The Coalition as a sequel to Gears of War 4. Unlike previous games in the Gears of War series, the game is simply titled Gears 5 (without the "of War" part). Xbox marketing boss Aaron Greenberg explained that the new title was "cleaner" and that it was a natural change because most people had been cutting out the "of War" part for years. For Gears 5, The Coalition decided to shift player focus from JD Fenix to Kait Diaz. According to studio head Rod Fergusson, "It was a natural choice. When you play through Gears 4, think of it as Mad Max: Fury Road. It was really Furiosa's story, and Max was the side kick. That's how it felt in Gears 4, the whole game is about saving Kait's mom, and really JD is there to help her."
Marketing and release
Gears 5 was announced at E3 2018, along with Gears POP! and Gears Tactics. The game is scheduled to be released for Windows 10 and Xbox One on September 10th, 2019 as part of Xbox Play Anywhere. It was revealed at E3 2019 that for the upcoming game, a crossover with the upcoming film Terminator: Dark Fate will have players control either Sarah Connor with Linda Hamilton voicing her character or a T-800 Terminator model as either a pre-order bonus or with Xbox Game Pass and Xbox Game Pass Ultimate.
- Fergusson, Rod. "E3 2018: Tripling-Down on Gears with Gears 5, Gears Pop!, and Gears Tactics". Xbox Wire. Retrieved Oct 29, 2018.
- Carter, Justin (June 13, 2018). "E3 2018: Opinion: Gears 5's Tone Reminds Us of God of War in a Great Way". IGN. Archived from the original on June 16, 2018. Retrieved June 16, 2018.
- "Gears of War 5 features local split-screen or online co-op – out next year". VG247. June 10, 2018. Archived from the original on June 16, 2018. Retrieved June 16, 2018.
- Makuch, Eddie (June 14, 2018). "E3 2018: Why It's Called Gears 5 And Not Gears Of War 5". GameSpot. Archived from the original on June 15, 2018. Retrieved June 16, 2018.
- Sliva, Marty (June 11, 2018). "E3 2018: Gears 5 Director Compares Game to Mad Max: Fury Road". IGN. Archived from the original on June 16, 2018. Retrieved June 16, 2018.
- Watts, Steve (June 14, 2018). "E3 2018: Gears Tactics Is Another New Gears Of War Game". GameSpot. Archived from the original on June 16, 2018. Retrieved June 16, 2018.
- Gillian, Ryan (June 10, 2018). "First Gears 5 trailer shows off a darker story". Polygon. Retrieved June 16, 2018.
- Shanley, Patrick (June 9, 2019). "'Terminator: Dark Fate,' 'Gears 5' Crossover Unveiled". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 9, 2019.