|Founder||Tony Troxell and Richard Fairbrother|
|5200 (as of November 2019)|
|William Holmes, Legion Commanding Officer |
Rick Bouwhuis, Legion Executive Officer
Chris Hummel, Legion Public Relations
The Rebel Legion is an international fan-based volunteer organization dedicated to the construction and wearing of screen-accurate Star Wars Rebel Alliance costumes. Founded in 2000, the group was formed in response to the decision of sister organization the 501st Legion to remain dedicated to Galactic Empire costumes. The Rebel Legion makes appearances at private and public events, including charitable events and official Star Wars promotional events. The organization does not charge a fee for appearances, instead encouraging a donation to a charity.
It is divided into "bases" located throughout the world, and as of November 2019, the Rebel Legion membership is approximately 5,200 members. Though not affiliated with Lucasfilm, the organization is sanctioned by Lucasfilm.
In early 2000, the 501st Legion Star Wars costuming group chose to remain "Imperials only". This prompted 501st members Tony Troxell, Richard Fairbrother, Ed O'Connell, Ken Ograyensek, and Doug Fesko to create a separate "Rebels only" costuming group, officially announced to the 501st Legion forums in December 2000. Though not affiliated with Lucasfilm, the Rebel Legion is officially sanctioned by Lucasfilm.
The Rebel Legion is divided into detachments determined by the type of character costumes represent. The organization is also divided into bases or outposts determined by geographical region; bases can be further divided into variably named detachment units. The leadership consists of a Commanding Officer and 5 Council members. Additional leadership roles are assigned as needed per the LCO (LPRO, LMO, etc.)
Giving back to the community is one of the Rebel Legion’s highest priorities. Members regularly participate in events to raise awareness of charitable causes, from walk-a-thons to blood drives. Because of this, the Rebel Legion proudly refers to themselves as "the good guys." For public and private gatherings, the Legion never charges a fee for an appearance, but they do welcome donations made to an event host’s favorite charity in the name of the Legion or the local Legion unit. If an event host does not have a charity of choice, Legion members usually provide a suggestion, sometimes tied to a fundraising effort that is already underway. In cases where the event host is itself a charitable organization, a donation is usually not accepted by the Rebel Legion as they volunteer their time for that charitable organization.
Some of the events where the member of the Rebel Legion were guests, supporters, artists or exhibitors to support charity projects:
- Star Wars Celebration  / 
- Salt Lake Comic-Con 
- Philadelphia Comic-Con 
- Dallas Comic-Con 
- Pensacon 
- Oz Comic-Con 
- Motor City Comic-Con 
- Galactic Con 
- Wizardworld 
- San Diego Comic-Con International 
- Dutch Comic-Con 
- Indy Pop-Con 
- Cherry City Comic-Con 
- Twin Tiers Comic-Con 
- MCM - Comic-Con
- "Member List". The Rebel Legion. Retrieved 2015-12-10.
- "History of Rebel Legion". StarWars.com. Retrieved 2015-12-10.
- "Relationship to 501st". 501st.com. Retrieved 2015-12-10.
- Liptak, Andrew (June 27, 2015). "Read Up On The History Of The Rebel Legion Costuming Group". io9. Retrieved August 17, 2016.
- "Star Wars Week: Rebel Legion….We're The Good Guys". Wired. May 5, 2012. Retrieved August 17, 2016.
- Ratcliff, Amy (April 8, 2015). "WonderCon: The Rebel Legion and 501st Legion Talk Costuming". Nerdist Industries. Retrieved August 17, 2016.
- "Legion Charter". Rebel Legion. Retrieved August 17, 2016.
- "MIssion of the Rebel Legion Legion". RebelLegion.com. Retrieved 2015-12-10.
- "Supporters - Star Wars Celebration • April 13 - 16, 2017". starwarscelebration.com. 17 November 2011. Retrieved 22 December 2016.
- "Introduction to the Rebel Legion - Conferences - Star Wars Celebration • April 13 - 16, 2017". starwarscelebration.com. 27 June 2016. Retrieved 22 December 2016.
- "Rebel Legion". saltlakecomiccon.com. 8 July 2015. Retrieved 22 December 2016.
- "Philadelphia Comic-Con - Echo Base"
- "REBEL LEGION". dallascomiccon.com. Retrieved 22 December 2016.
- "Pensacon: Pensacola Comic Con 2016: The Rebel Legion: From Jedi to Royalty". sched.org. Retrieved 22 December 2016.
- "Rebel Legion - Hoth Base - Exhibitor Directory - Melbourne 2016 - Oz Comic-Con". ozcomiccon.com. 31 May 2016. Retrieved 22 December 2016.
- "Motor City Comic Con". motorcitycomiccon.com. 12 March 2014. Retrieved 22 December 2016.
- "Rebel Legion – Terrapin Base - Galactic Con". galactic-con.com. Retrieved 22 December 2016.
- "Rebel Legion - Corellian Base@ Wizard World". wizardworld.com. Retrieved 22 December 2016.
- "Comic-Con 2015 Fan Tables". comic-con.org. 3 December 2014. Retrieved 22 December 2016.
- "Dutch Comic-Con - Benelux Base"
- "Star Wars Indiana". indypopcon.com. Retrieved 22 December 2016.
- "Star Wars Oregon - Cherry City Comic Con". cherrycitycomiccon.com. Retrieved 22 December 2016.
- "TWIN TIERS COMIC-CON!". twintierscomiccon.com. Retrieved 22 December 2016.