Roman Catholic Diocese of Taiohae
Diocese of Taiohae
Dioecesis Taiohaënus seu Humanae Telluris
Diocèse de Taiohae o Tefenuaenata
|Country||French Polynesia, France|
|Metropolitan||Archdiocese of Papeete|
|Area||1,250 km2 (480 sq mi)|
|(as of 2010)|
|Sui iuris church||Latin Church|
|Established||9 May 1848 (As Vicariate Apostolic of Marquesas Islands)|
21 June 1966 (As Diocese of Taiohae)
31 May 1974 (As Diocese of Taiohae o Tefenuaenata)
|Cathedral||Notre Dame Cathedral, Taiohae|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Jean-Pierre Edmond Cottanceau, SS.CC.|
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Taiohae (or Tefenuaenata or Hakapehi) (Latin: Dioecesis Taiohaënus seu Humanae Telluris; French: Diocèse de Taiohae o Tefenuaenata), in French Polynesia, is a suffragan diocese in the ecclesiastical province of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Papeete, yet still depends on the missionary Roman Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples.
- Erected on 1848.05.09 as the Apostolic Vicariate of Marquesas Islands/ Isole Marchesi (Curiate Italian) / Insularum Marchesi (Latin), on insular territory split off from the suppressed Apostolic Vicariate of Eastern Oceania
- Promoted on 1966.06.21 as Diocese of Taiohae / Taiohaën(us) (Latin)
- Renamed 1974.05.31 as Diocese of Taiohae / Hakapehi / Tefenuaenata (autochthonous synonyms) / Humanæ Telluris (Latin) / Taiohaën(us) (Latin adjective).
As per 2014, it pastorally served 8,970 Catholics (91.2% of 9,835 total) on 1,250 km² in 26 parishes with 4 priests (2 diocesan, 2 religious), 11 lay religious (7 brothers, 4 sisters) and 1 seminarian.
(all Roman Rite, so far European:French missionaries)
- Apostolic Vicars of Marquesas Islands
- François Baudichon (1848.05.09 – retired 1855), Titular Bishop of Basilinopolis (1844.08.14 – 1882.06.11); died 1882
- Ildefonse-René Dordillon (1855.12.07 – death 1888.01.11), Titular Bishop of Cambysopolis (1855.12.07 – 1888.01.11)
- Apostolic Administrator Father Rogatien-Joseph Martin (1890.04.11 – 1892.06.03 see below), no previous prelature
- Rogatien-Joseph Martin (see above 1892.06.03 – death 1912.05.27), Titular Bishop of Verinopolis (1892.06.03 – 1912.05.27)
- Pierre-Marie-David Le Cadre, Picpus Fathers (SS.CC.) (1920.12.30 – death 1952.11.21), Titular Bishop of Demetrias (1921.01.05 – 1952.11.21)
- Louis-Bertrand Tirilly, SS.CC. (1953.11.16 – 1966.06.21 see below), Titular Bishop of Buthrotum (1953.11.16 – 1966.06.21)
- Suffragan Bishops of Taiohae
- Louis-Bertrand Tirilly, SS.CC. (see above 1966.06.21 – retired 1970.03.17), emeritate as Titular Bishop of Budua (1970.03.17 – resigned 1976.09.27); died 2002
- Hervé-Maria Le Cléac'h, SS.CC. (1973.03.01 – retired 1986.05.31), died 2012
- Guy André Dominique Marie Chevalier (1986.05.31 – retired 2015.09.05), Bishop Emeritus; succeeded as previous Coadjutor Bishop of Taiohae (1985.03.29 – 1986.05.31)
- Pascal Chang-Soi (5 September 2015 - ...), previously Coadjutor Bishop of Taiohae (French Polynesia) (2010.08.04 – succession 2015.09.05) and Apostolic Administrator of Papeete (French Polynesia) (2013.03.13 – 2015.08.28).
- GCatholic, with Google map & satellite photo - data for all sections
- "Diocese of Taiohae o Tefenuaenata". Catholic-Hierarchy. Retrieved 2015-09-07.
|This article on a Roman Catholic diocese in Oceania is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|