|Born||December 6, 1965|
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
|Residence||San Diego, California|
|Nationality||Brazilian & American|
|Height||5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)|
|Weight||150 lb (68 kg; 11 st)|
|Team||Gracie Humaitá |
|Rank||Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu7th Degree Coral Belt in|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Notable students||Saulo Ribeiro, Leonardo Xavier, Leticia Ribeiro, Cleber Luciano|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
|World Jiu-Jitsu Championship|
|ADCC World Championship|
|Pan American Championships|
Royler Gracie (born December 6, 1965) is a retired Brazilian-American mixed martial artist and Brazilian jiu-jitsu practitioner. He ran the Gracie Humaitá school in Rio de Janeiro for many years under his father Helio's direction, and currently lives and teaches in San Diego, California.
As son to the late Grandmaster, Helio Gracie and brother of Rickson and Royce Gracie, Royler is a member of the Gracie family. He holds a 7th degree red/black belt in the style pioneered by his family, Brazilian jiu-jitsu.
Prior to his retirement, Royler competed in the black-belt ranks for 20+ years. Royler is also a four-time World Jiu-Jitsu Champion in the Pena/Featherweight Black Belt Category and has placed in the Absolute Division.
Royler has a professional mixed martial arts record of five wins, five losses and one draw. His retirement fight came on September 14, 2011 at the age of 45 when he lost to Masakatsu Ueda via split decision.
In 2003, Royler Gracie faced Eddie Bravo in the quarterfinals of the ADCC tournament in the under 66 kg/145 lbs bracket. Royler was 38 years old at the time, but still regarded as one of the favorites to win the division. Bravo did exceptionally well against Royler, submitting him by way of triangle as the Gracie tried one of his trademarked knee sliding guard passes. Royler had a highly anticipated rematch against Eddie Bravo on March 29, 2014 at Metamoris III in a submission-only competition format. Despite a tight calf slicer submission attempt and multiple groin stretch attempts by Eddie the match concluded as a draw after the 20 minutes ran out due to the no points rule.
In a season 3 episode of the Wildboyz, Steve-O and Chris Pontius visit Brazil and attend the Gracie Jiu-Jitsu school in Rio de Janeiro. Royler takes on Chris Pontius and chokes him out, while female student Leticia Ribeiro defeats Steve-O via armbar submission.
Gracie has co-written three instructional books on Brazilian jiu-jitsu:
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: Theory and Practice with his cousin Renzo Gracie
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Submission Grappling Techniques with author Kid Peligro
- Gracie Submission Essentials: Grandmaster and Master Secrets of Finishing a Fight with his late father Helio Gracie and Kid Peligro
Royler is married to Vera Lucia Ribeiro. They have 4 daughters; Rayna, Rayssa, Rhauani and Rarine.
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|11 matches||5 wins||5 losses|
|Loss||5–5–1||Masakatsu Ueda||Decision (split)||Amazon Forest Combat 1||September 14, 2011||3||5:00||Manaus, Brazil|
|Loss||5–4–1||Hideo Tokoro||Decision (unanimous)||K-1 Premium 2006 Dynamite!!||December 31, 2006||2||5:00||Osaka, Japan|
|Loss||5–3–1||Norifumi Yamamoto||KO (punch)||Hero's 3||September 7, 2005||2||0:38||Tokyo, Japan||Hero's 2005 Lightweight Grand Prix quarter-final.|
|Win||5–2–1||Koji Yoshida||Decision (majority)||Hero's 2||July 6, 2005||2||5:00||Tokyo, Japan|
|Win||4–2–1||Kazuyuki Miyata||Submission (triangle choke)||Rumble on the Rock||November 20, 2004||2||2:46||Honolulu, Hawaii, USA|
|Loss||3–2–1||Genki Sudo||KO (punches)||K-1 MMA ROMANEX||May 22, 2004||1||3:40||Saitama, Japan|
|Draw||3–1–1||Takehiro Murahama||Draw||Deep - 1st Impact||January 8, 2001||2||10:00||Nagoya, Japan|
|Loss||3–1||Kazushi Sakuraba||Submission (Referee stoppage)||Pride 8||November 21, 1999||2||13:16||Tokyo, Japan||Royler demanded special rules: No stand ups, no judges|
|Win||3–0||Yuhi Sano||Submission (armbar)||Pride 2||March 15, 1998||1||33:14||Yokohama, Japan|
|Win||2–0||Noboru Asahi||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Vale Tudo Japan 1996||July 7, 1996||1||5:07||Urayasu, Japan||Royler demanded special rules: No strikes on ground|
|Win||1–0||Ivan Lee||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Universal Vale Tudo Fighting 2||June 24, 1996||1||1:33||Brazil|
- "Royler Gracie Awarded Red and Black Belt Jim Hannan's facebook page has posted the above picture,..." Bloody Elbow. Retrieved April 4, 2014.
- "CAMPEONATO MUNDIAL 1999". Official IFBJJ results. Retrieved May 13, 2012.
- "CAMPEONATO MUNDIAL 1998". Official IFBJJ results. Retrieved May 13, 2012.
- "CAMPEONATO MUNDIAL 1997". Official IFBJJ results. Retrieved May 13, 2012.
- "CAMPEONATO MUNDIAL 1996". Official CBJJ results. Retrieved May 13, 2012.
- "ADCC Results". Official 2001 ADCC results. Archived from the original on September 3, 2011. Retrieved May 13, 2012. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "ADCC Results". Official 2000 ADCC results. Archived from the original on May 19, 2012. Retrieved May 13, 2012. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "ADCC Results". Official 1999 ADCC results. Archived from the original on May 29, 2012. Retrieved May 14, 2012. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "CAMPEONATO PANAMERICANO 1999". Official CBJJ results. Retrieved May 13, 2012.
- "CAMPEONATO PANAMERICANO 1997". Official CBJJ results. Retrieved May 13, 2012.
- Academia Gracie de Jiu-Jitsu Archived October 8, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. URL accessed on June 8, 2009.
- Pinheiro, Guilherme (September 14, 2011). "Ueda Retires Gracie, Ishii Robbed Against Filho at Amazon FC". Sherdog.com. Retrieved April 4, 2014.
- "Metamoris 3: Bravo vs. Gracie Results". mmanuts.com. Retrieved March 29, 2014.
- Holland, Jesse (March 29, 2014). "Draw! Metamoris 3 results recap from last night (March 29) for 'Bravo vs. Gracie 2' in Los Angeles". MMAmania.com. Retrieved March 30, 2014.
- dickhouse productions. "dickhouse". Jackassworld.com. Retrieved April 4, 2014.
- Gracie, Royler; Gracie, Renzo (2001). Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: Theory and Technique. Invisible Cities Press. p. 304. ISBN 978-1-931229-08-1.
- Gracie, Royler; Peligro, Kid (2003). Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Submission Grappling Techniques. Invisible Cities Press. p. 304. ISBN 978-1-931229-29-6.
- Gracie, Royler; Gracie, Helio (2007). Gracie Submission Essentials: Grandmaster and Master Secrets of Finishing a Fight. Invisible Cities Press. p. 250. ISBN 978-1-931229-45-6.
- "Instagram". Instagram.
- Royler gracie vs kazushi sakuraba. December 23, 2012 – via YouTube.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Royler Gracie.|