|Residence||Maida Vale, London, England|
|Education||BA (Hons) Economics|
|Alma mater||City University London|
|Occupation||Fashion and beauty makeup artist, entrepreneur, columnist|
|Known for||Co-founder of Ruby & Millie cosmetics brand|
(m. 1985; div. 1999)
Martin Kuczmarski (m. 2009)
Hammer was born to Bangladeshi parents in Nigeria where her father was a doctor. She emigrated with her family to Britain at the age of 13. Her parents intended to return to Bangladesh (known as East Pakistan at the time), however, the Bangladesh Liberation War broke out there while they were on holiday in England.
In 1998, Hammer teamed up with beauty publicist Millie Kendall to create the Ruby & Millie cosmetics brand, sold exclusively in Boots pharmacies nationwide. It became one of the most innovative brands to be launched in the international beauty industry in decades and was the first major UK cosmetics brand to launch in 30 years. In August 1998, the first Ruby & Millie site was opened in Harvey Nichols in Leeds and London.
Hammer has created looks for photographers, runways for designers, including John Galliano and Jasper Conran, and has worked on photo shoots for fashion publications such as Vogue, Elle, Red, Harpers and Queen, Bazaar and Marie Claire. She is regularly quoted on trends, beauty tips and advice.
Hammer worked on advertising campaigns and televisions commercials for international brands such as Oil of Olay, Pantene and Head & Shoulders. She has been asked to launch products, advise on new looks and train personnel for Estee Lauder, Clarins, Clinique, Aveda and Revlon. Her television credits includes The Clothes Show, BBC Style Challenge, Britain's Next Top Model, GMTV, This Morning, and 10 Years Younger, where she was the resident makeup artist for 3 series.
In December 2009, Ruby & Millie launched teen cosmetics range Scarlett and Crimson. In September 2011, Hammer launched launch the cosmetics beauty gifting range "Ruby Hammer Recommends" exclusive to Debenhams. Since March 2012, Hammer has been a beauty columnist for Easy Living magazine.
Awards and recognition
In December 2002, at the launch of the British Asian Fashion Awards held at The Clothes Show, Hammer received a special presentation of the very first award, the "Outstanding Individuals Award", which pays tribute to an individual or group who has made a significant contribution to the British Asian or mainstream fashion industry, recognised her for the role she has carved for herself in the fashion and beauty industry over the past ten years.
In November 2013, she was nominated for the #EightWomen Awards.
In 1985, Hammer married Polish-born entrepreneur George Hammer who was responsible for bringing the Aveda hair and lifestyle brand to QVC. In 1999, they were divorced. In May 2009, Hammer married Italian-Polish hotelier Martin Kuczmarski.
Her daughter, Reena (born 1987), is creative director for Urban Retreat beauty salons.
- Hammer, Ruby; Kendall, Millie. (2000). Face Up: The Essential Make-up Handbook. Ebury Publishing. 978-0091874759.
- "Women". British Bangladeshi Power 100. January 2012. Retrieved 1 May 2012. Ruby Hammer MBE
- "Ruby Hammer MBE". Swadhinata Trust. 1999. Retrieved 1 May 2012. Ruby Hammer
- "From International Makeup Artist to Successful Entrepreneur – Ruby Hammer Shares Her Inspirational Story". Female Entrepreneur Association. 24 October 2011. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- "Interview with Ruby Hammer – International Make-Up Artist". Womens Everything. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- Roberts, Julia (2013). One Hundred Lengths of the Pool. Cornerstone Digital. ISBN 978-1848094277.
- Bridge, Rachel (2010). How to Make a Million Before Lunch. Virgin Books. p. 163. ISBN 978-0753539576.
- "Ruby Hammer – Eyes". The Trusted Beauty Guide. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- "Asian Women of Achievement Awards 2004 Finalists". Red Hot Curry. 20 February 2004. Archived from the original on 12 May 2012. Retrieved 1 May 2012. Ruby Hammer
- "Ruby Hammer MBE". Red Online. Archived from the original on 21 April 2013. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- "Ruby Hammer profile". Project Maven. Archived from the original on 25 August 2012. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- "Ruby and Millie 'Scarlett and Crimson' Launch". In Publishing. 15 December 2009. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- Sewell, Cate (28 July 2011). "Ruby Hammer Launches Exclusive Range With Debenhams". Glam UK. Archived from the original on 19 August 2011. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- "Easy Living re-designs magazine and website". In Publishing. 1 February 2012. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- "British Bengali Success Stories". BritBangla. 2003. Retrieved 1 May 2012. Ruby Hammer
- "#EightWomen Awards 2013". Media Diversified. November 2013. Retrieved 1 August 2015.
- Atkins, Ismay (2005). Time Out London Shopping Guide. Time Out Guides Limited. p. 6.