Society of Cable Telecommunications Engineers
|Focus||Cable Telecommunications Engineering|
|Method||Professional Development, Industry Standards, Certification Programs, Publications, Events|
The Society of Cable Telecommunications Engineers or SCTE is a non-profit professional association for the advancement of technology, standards and workforce education related to cable telecommunications engineering. Founded in 1969 as The Society of Cable Television Engineers, SCTE and its global arm, the International Society of Broadband Experts (ISBE), have a current membership of more than 19,000 individuals.
SCTE/ISBE offers several publications to its membership. These include Interval, a monthly newsletter covering association events, training, activities, and member accomplishments, SCTE Credentials, a quarterly electronic newsletter highlighting SCTE•ISBE's certification program, and SCTE Standards Bulletin, a quarterly printed newsletter covering the SCTE standards program.
SCTE•ISBE’s Cable-Tec Expo is a four-day conference focused on engineering that includes educational workshops, exhibits, and professional networking opportunities. Annual attendance is approximately 10,000 individuals.
Past and upcoming events
- SCTE•ISBE Cable-Tec Expo 2012 October 17–19, 2012; Orlando, Florida
- SCTE•ISBE Cable-Tec Expo 2013 October 21–24, 2013; Atlanta, Georgia
- SCTE•ISBE Cable-Tec Expo 2014 September 22–25, 2014; Denver, Colorado
- SCTE•ISBE Cable-Tec Expo 2015 October 13–16, 2015; New Orleans, Louisiana
- SCTE•ISBE Cable-Tec Expo 2016 September 26–29, 2016; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- SCTE•ISBE Cable-Tec Expo 2017 October 17–20, 2017; Denver, Colorado
- SCTE•ISBE Cable-Tec Expo 2018 October 22–25, 2018; Atlanta, Georgia
SCTE•ISBE includes a standards program for the development of technical specifications supporting the cable telecommunications industry. The work program includes: data and telephony over cable; application platform development; digital video; emergency alert systems; energy management; network monitoring systems; cables, connectors and amplifiers; and construction and maintenance practices. In 2016 SCTE•ISBE created an Internet of Things working group within the standards program. A Generic Access Platform working group was created in 2018.
SCTE•ISBE is accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI), recognized by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), and works in cooperation with the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI). More than 130 MSOs, vendors and allied organizations are SCTE Standards members.
SCTE•ISBE was announced in 2011 as a recipient of a Technology & Engineering Emmy Award from the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences for “Local Cable Ad Insertion Technology – Cable Digital Standards for Local Cable Advertising.”
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-05-19. Retrieved 2008-06-23.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-06-09. Retrieved 2008-06-23.
- "SCTE creates Generic Access Platform standards project for cable | Cable | News | Rapid TV News". www.rapidtvnews.com. Retrieved 2018-08-30.
- "SCTE Wins Tech Emmy Award For Local Cable Ad Standards". Multichannel. Retrieved 2018-08-30.