Society of Cable Telecommunications Engineers
|Focus||Cable Telecommunications Engineering|
|Method||Professional Development, Industry Standards, Certification Programs, Publications, Events|
The Society of Cable Telecommunications Engineers or SCTE is a non-profit professional association for the advancement of technology, standards and workforce education related to cable telecommunications engineering. Founded in 1969 as The Society of Cable Television Engineers, SCTE and its global arm, the International Society of Broadband Experts (ISBE), have a current membership of more than 28,000 individuals.
SCTE/ISBE offers several publications to its membership. These include Interval, a monthly newsletter available in print and online covering association events, activities, and member accomplishments, SCTE Credentials, a quarterly electronic newsletter highlighting SCTE's certification program, and SCTE Standards Bulletin, a quarterly printed newsletter covering the SCTE standards program.
SCTE/ISBE’s Cable-Tec Expo is a four-day conference focused on engineering that includes educational workshops, exhibits, and professional networking opportunities. Annual attendance is approximately 10,000 individuals.
Past and upcoming events
- SCTE 2012 October 17–19, 2012; Orlando, Florida
- SCTE 2013 October 21–24, 2013; Atlanta, Georgia
- SCTE 2014 September 22–25, 2014; Denver, Colorado
- SCTE 2015 October 13–16, 2015; New Orleans, Louisiana
- SCTE 2016 September 26–29, 2016; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- SCTE 2017 October 17–20, 2017; Denver, Colorado
- SCTE 2018 October 22–25, 2018; Atlanta, Georgia
SCTE/ISBE includes a standards program for the development of technical specifications supporting the cable telecommunications industry. The work program includes: data and telephony over cable; application platform development; digital video; emergency alert systems; energy management; network monitoring systems; cables, connectors and amplifiers; and construction and maintenance practices. In 2016 SCTE/ISBE created an Internet of Things working group within the standards program.
SCTE is accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI), recognized by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), and works in cooperation with the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI). More than 130 MSOs, vendors and allied organizations are SCTE Standards members.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-05-19. Retrieved 2008-06-23.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-06-09. Retrieved 2008-06-23.